Help Finding Source of Squeeling on Serpentine
I have been listening to a squeeling/chirping noise in the front of my engine for a few months now. I can't take it anymore. If I have to listen to this thing squeel much longer, I am going to lose my mind.
I looked under the hood to try and find the source of the problem (on several occasions). Believe it or not, I can't pinpoint the source. It's loud enough that it sounds like it could be coming from anywhere along the Serpentine Belt.
I took it by a Ford Shop today, and they are going to charge me $95 to figure it out for me...No thanks. I would like to figure this one out myself.
Can someone help me pinpoint where this noise is coming from? Here are some facts that will hopefully help identify the problem.
1. I just replaced the idler arm and serpentine belt about 6 months ago. Unless I did something wrong there, I don't think that's what it is.
2. The screech is louder and more consistent when the engine is cold, and when it is raining/wet outside.
3. Once the engine warms-up, the sound is just every now and again. Not constant.
4. The sound speeds-up while revving the engine or going at high speeds (I know...the serpentine belt is turning faster, so the sound is faster).
5. I don't think it's leaking any water, so I'm pretty sure it's not the Water Pump.
6. The weather here is about 60 degrees right now, so I can't tell whether the air conditioner is working or not...thus I can't rule out the A/C Compressor yet.
Any help identifying the source of this sound so I can get in there and fix it would be greatly appreciated. AC.