- The system will only start if primed first with with gas.History:
-After it starts and runs for a few minutes it will start again and again till cool, normally.
-There is about 58 pounds of fuel at the fuel rail.
-New fuel filter.
-All this started after changing out the water pump and clutch fan.
2004 Ford Ranger with a 3L.
- Earlier this year it was starting to have some issues staying running. If I ran into a store for 5-10 minutes it sometimes had issues running unless I gave it a little extra gas out of the parking lot. Two foot driving. After I hit the main road it would work fine.
- Over heated due to small leak from radiator hose. But was started 3 or 4 times since then to get it home and in the garage. I also quickly added water to keep it cool till I got home.
- Changed out water pump, clutch fan and lower radiator hose.
- It has about 150k miles.
- No error codes or check engine lights.
- After changing out water pump I tried to start it, but it would only start with GREAT effort and sounded rough the couple of times I was able to get it started.
- Later I learned I could prime the engine with gas and it would start with little issue and often would continue to run if I pushed the gas peddle down a bit
- Of course I noticed other issues as I was rolling around and replaced the front shocks, and sway bar links.
- The spark plugs looked a sight so they have been replaced too. Noticed when checking for spark.
Not sure what else to do. Just hopping some kind soul out there has some idea of what is going on and can give me an idea of what to look for or do. My little truck has been very good to me and this is the first bit of trouble it has ever given me.
Thank you in advance.