Wow...has it really been four weeks since I last posted an update?
So...the last four weeks...
Unfortunately life caught up me and between school and other obligations I had very little time to work on the truck...which wasn't too much of a waste since I was lacking parts anyway. After about five failed attempts (wrong brackets being shipped, etc) to get the engine mounting brackets I drove up to a yard near Atlanta two weeks ago and pulled them. I finally was free to work on it again last weekend and as of this moment it will turn over and after I add a little bit of wiring tomorrow it should run.
Contrary to what I have read elsewhere, the oil pan does hit the engine crossmember on the passenger side. I had plenty of room to shift the engine towards the driver side so I drilled new holes in the mounting brackets and added a .25" steel plate between the passenger side mount and the block. I probably managed to move it over .5" which seemed to do the trick. The engine sits a little high on the passenger side, but I can't lower it because of the oil pan and I can't raise the driver side because the hood hits. The difference is only maybe .25"...which drives the perfectionist in me insane...but the slight rotation moves the shifter slightly closer to the driver which is kinda nice. I will probably go back and add something to keep the engine from rotating too much since clearances are a little tight.
I am a little concerned about the clearance between the steering box and the a/c compressor. There's maybe .5"-.75" between the compressor and where the fittings need to go on the steering box so that will be interesting.
After adding EATC, an OHC, keyless entry, and power windows/mirrors/locks, the perfectionist in me wanted everything wired into the factory harness as it should be since all the parts I used were factory parts. As a result of the changes I needed to make for the swap and the changes I wanted to make as an electronics nerd, I have probably added/removed/modified/repaired 90% of the wiring in the truck. Lotsa work...but at least there are no silly butt splices in MY
I know...pictures. I have a few I'll post soon...but I didn't take many during the process because Sony hasn't fixed my P&S yet and there's no way I'm dragging the SLR out while I'm working.
Oh yea, if a grinding disk shatters near your arm it will leave a mark. Same goes for drill bits.
It's late...I'll post more later...