Originally Posted by NicksterSVT
You got to drive D's truck? I envy you...
TremorJon drove it in Centralia.. I'll toss the keys to about anyone that knows how to drive a stick, or wants to learn.
lets see.. 4.3 Chevy -vs- DOHC Ford.
Pros for Chevy :
- Takes SB chevy parts as its a SBC minus 2 cylinders ( same rods, pistons, rings ).
- Reliable Pushrod setup, been around forever (*50 years or so.. )
- Lots of aftermarket go-fast parts
- CHEAP to fix/find in a boneyard.
Cons for Chevy :
- Uses SBC mains, Spind berrings, just as all the SBC's have done ( thus the huge aftermarket of rods/berrings. I can;t think of a single person thats never heard of someone who has had a main/rod berring spin on them )
- Only good in the lower rpm's, floating valvetrain still.
- Heavy for its relativly small size.
- Block retains more heat on a pound for pound basis compared to most other engines ( including the SBC's of the same years. )
Pros for Ford :
- Can rev to 7 grand with no instability in the valvetrain, STOCK. Both of the ' stock ' engines ( original one in my truck and teh one that replaced it after blowin a head off it ) were ' tuned ' to 7grand on the limiter. I NEVER spun a berring or tossed a rod with either, even on the bottle.
- Stays relativly cool.
- Bottom end has a self supporting ' girdle ' system. I think the bottom end is good for 400HP with no worries , bone stock.
- Balanced Reciprocating Assemnly
- No floating valvetrain.
- Anyone ever hear of that timing chain tensioner ?
- What aftermarket? Super6 motorsports? 'Bama Chips? If we went to Summit Race Equipment in Akron Ohio.. there would be More for the Chevy then our motors.
- Anemic torque curve till about 2 grand. This is a car engine more then a truck one ( IMO ) .
Head-to-Head , GM needs that Turbo to compete. Even with the turbo ( and its lagg ) something tells me a SOHC with a dry 50 shot would stomp it pretty bad ( I've only run into one typhoon/cyclone and he would NOT run ).
With the SOHC/v6 in the Stang.. theres a growing aftermarket. Less then a year after its implimentation, theres at LEAST 4 superchargers.. we had exploder express and their milingering for 2 years.. Times are a changing however.
GM believes ' EcoTec ' is their savior.. Good luck to em' .