Well, today I took my first highway trip into town.
The Ranger really ran very well, and there is a big difference when on the road now that the valve timing has been corrected.
The truck requires less throttle to accelerate, and there is less up-shifting, so I expect I should now get better gas mileage.
The engine now idles smoothly and of course does not set any codes as before.
I realize I did not say how I managed to make the chain jump one link in order to correct the timing.
This is the cam for the right bank, and the sprocket is at the rear of the engine very close to the firewall.
The sprocket bolt is too hard to get at, so I decided to try to make the chain jump one link by removing the hydraulic spring loaded
tensioner in order to give the chain as much slack as possible. I then inserted a small round object of the correct size between the
chain and the sprocket, and there was enough slack that the chain lifted above the sprocket quite easily. Then I very slowly rotated the engine
by hand while observing the sprocket and chain. As I rotated the engine, the raised chain began to move slightly forward one link.
After the cam had rotated about 45 degrees, the chain began to lower into the correct socket. After more rotation,
the chain dropped into the correct position. I am sorry I should have taken pictures at the time. It is somewhat difficult to
visualize what I did. I imagine that there was quite a bit of strain on the components, but if it can jump on it's own without damage,
I felt confident that I could make it move one link without any problem with a very slow rotation.
Last edited by mmisk; 05-04-2015 at 08:03 AM.