Everything was going good a few weeks ago. Drove 30 miles away in no hurry. Topped off the tank on the way back bc gas was cheap. Started running rough immediately afterwards. Temp started dropping to the bottom of normal and bumping around there. Poured in a can of seafoam with fingers crossed. Nothing. Couldn't drive more that 2k rpm. Revved fine in neutral. I'd rev it and dump the clutch and get a little speed then lose power. Called my mechanic while limping down the highway. He was stumped and hesitantly mentioned water in gas. I got to an Advance and added some Heet. Immediately ran better. Got home but the temps never came back up. Ran that tank out and filled up with 89 just to help things along.
2 weeks later I made another decently long trip. Started running bad again just before I got home. CEL started flashing -- misfire. No codes were stored and I can't get it to blink again while plugged in to scanner. This time it hasn't run right again. Won't rev past 2k without bogging down, and sometimes cutting off. I can go about 10 mph in 4th gear but no power or torque. So here's where I started:
1. NGK plugs and wires
2. Swapped out used coil
3. Replaced fuel filter
4. Replaced CKP sensor
5. Swapped out used CMP sensor
6. Cleaned IAC with MAF cleaner
7. Cleaned MAF with MAF cleaner
8. Compression Test (162-178psi)
9. No milk in oil. Coolant bright green and
9. Faint smell of coolant in cab at startup. Heater core?
This did nothing. There is a faint repetitive noise in the top underneath the intake. Maybe valves? So I've taken off the intake. Pulled the drive valve cover and checked the timing guides. I replaced them about 2 years ago and they still look good. Here's where I'm at now:
10. Replaced thermostat (old one checked out good in boiling water)
11. Replaced temp sensor and sender (in the unlikely event that its just reading cold).
12. Checked resistance on injectors. All between 14-14.5 ohm.
13. Cleaned injectors (a la
Before I stitch everything back up, I'm wondering what I can do to hopefully prevent having to take intake back off.
14. How does one check valves on the SOHC? Just want to make sure they are not bent or broken. Can't find this in Haynes or web. Will I be able to visually inspect them without much fuss?
15. Knock sensor?
16. What else?
Things I plan to do after getting it back together
17. Check for vacuum leak with brake cleaner
18. Test fuel pressure. I know the schrader is at the fuel pump. Can this be done without removing bed/dropping tank (I prefer the former)? Can't find anything in Haynes or web.
18. Came from the factory without EGR, so no DPFE.
19. O2 sensors? Could these cause severe rough run?
20. Cat's? How does one test them?
21. The lingering question in my mind is could water in the gas have caused this?
22. Tried O'reilly's radiator pressure tester, but it leaked at the seal. I'll try my mechanics snap-on if nothing else works.
23. What else?