Very odd problems - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource
Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiast!

Go Back   Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource Arrow Ranger-Forums Technical Engine Forum Arrow 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech

4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2006
Thread Starter

I am: Josh wuttke
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: hartland Wi
Vehicle: 96 Ford Ranger XLT
Posts: 89
Total Props: 0
Very odd problems

It seems my idle will at times sit around 1200 to 1500 range.. (which seems pretty high).. When its that high its very hard to shift into 1 through 3rd.. and sometimes 5th.

(the other thing i noticed it seems to stick higher up when coming down from a gear) leaving it netural as you slow down from 50mph. It doesn't drop to a low rpm.

That is 75 percent of how it drives... then the other 25 percent is 700 rpm idle... It drives just fine, smooth gear changes... i dont have to fight it.
Reply With Quote
+ 0 -
Old 01-01-2006
I am: Bob Jusnes
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC
Vehicle: 1996 Bronco
Posts: 3,048
Total Props: 0
sounds like the idle air control valve needs cleaning, its a silver cylinder, near the TB, about 1.25 inch diameter, maybe 2 inches long, has a wire harness and a mounting flange, take it off, clean it with TB cleaner, and while youre at it, do the TB and TB pos sensor
Reply With Quote
+ 0 -
Old 01-03-2006
The Black Ranger's Avatar
I am: Sam Midkiff
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mountlake Terrace, WA
Vehicle: 1993 ford ranger
Posts: 4
Total Props: 0
pull your mass air flow sensor (MAF) and see if its clogged or anything. if not go buy a new one they are a hundred bucks at shucks auto supply. the mass air flow controls you idle speed. does it get spark nock when putting stress on the engine going up hills or going like 70 mph?
Reply With Quote
+ 0 -

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very odd wiring phenomenon chunkysoup General Technical & Electrical 14 03-31-2010 06:46 PM
Very odd overheating problem!!!!! help!! UnderdogGN General Ford Ranger Discussion 2 12-07-2007 03:37 PM
Very, VERY tempting.... Fx4wannabe01 General Ford Ranger Discussion 18 04-25-2007 08:32 AM
Very very angry!!!! Werty Interior Semi-Tech 34 04-08-2007 07:08 AM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:25 AM.