This has been something Iv wanted to do for a long time. Bought a 99 limited expo last year and parted it. Had been collecting parts and doing research until about a month ago when I started the swap. Everything is pretty straight forward. Almost anyone with a little bit of experience could tackle this swap. I still have a lot of work to do but here's what I have done so far.
Your swap looks similar to mine. I asked for some guidance in a post just a couple of minutes ago about attaching the explorer battery harness to the ranger battery junction box. Can you help a brother out here?
I just took the female connector from the ranger battery harness and wired it into explorer harness in place of the old female connector. On the explorer battery harness the female connector Is the same male connector as the ranger harness coming from the fuse box. So you need unpin the female connector from the ranger battery harness and repin it in place of the female connector on the explorer battery harness. I hope that was clear
Thank you. There were a lot of ins and outs to this swap compared to other swaps. I didn't feel like dealing with VSS right away so I used an AOD from an 88 f150. Shifts using a throttle valve cable instead of computer controlled. I will eventually go back to the 4r70w when I get the VSS figured out. My truck was also a manual and I didn't wanna swap in a steering column so I used an aftermarket floor shifter for a 2wd aod transmission and modded it to fit on the 4wd extension housing. I also tried using the 4.0 motor mounts. I was able to get them to work but it ended up breaking one of the studs when I set it down and it also put the engine at a bad angle. So no go on 4.0 mounts
So how did this end up? Get it all worked out? Did you end up putting an auto in or did you put 5 speed in?
Yes its been finished and on the road for almost a year now. I did end up swapping a 5 speed in it due to VSS problems. But it has been a good running reliable truck for a long time. I had problems with 02 sensors and MAF for a long time, but zero problems now. I got most of the factory gauges to work besides oil light, CEL, door ajar, and ABS. Most had to do with miscommunication between the explorer PCM and the Ranger cluster. Some things have to go through the ranger computer to get the gauges to work and with it being replaced with the expo PCM they can no longer work. The way to fix this problem is to resuse parts of the ranger wiring harness along with stock sensors and integrate it with the explorer harness. I will eventually do a write up on it, but I am always busy and haven't had the time to update. Basically you use-the ranger PCM to run the gauges and the expo PCM to run the drivetrain with some intergration on sensors and wiring. I pulled the stock cluster and put all custom gauges in to match my pillar and dash gauges. I have videos of the truck for anyone intrested in seeing or hearing it run.