Seriously condidering a swap. Looking for tips
Well I had been thinking about a V8 swap for years and my transmission just locked up on me while crusing in OD. I am thinking about dropping the tranny and motor out together and placing a mustang motor and tranny combo in its place.
Are there any tips/tricks for doing such a swap? If anyone who has done this swap has any information on what parts to buy, (for example is there a 302 oil pan will fit in the ranger) or things to look out for I'd be glad to hear them. Any special circumstances that may have occured that wouldnt be expected would be awesome to know.
If you have any info on parts to use or just want to give me a heads up on some things any advice is appriciated.
I do have some questions to start off:
• Is there an aftermarket or stock oil pan that would fit a 302 mustang engine into a 94 4.0 ranger without modification?
• What is the interaction like at the crossmember? Is there a definant need for chopping/ fabricating, if so how much?
• Is there anyway to use a computer and wiring harness from a mustang in the engine compartment and still have my original interior wiring harness work all of the gauges and such?
• Is there a set of headers that fit the ranger without having to customize?
• What is the interaction like at the firewall? Do I have to push the firewall back or chop it?
• Does the V8 engine sit higher and if so, would I need to lower it for any reason rather than having just an air scoop?
• Has anyone ever done a swap with a 4wd? Is it possible to bolt the stock transfer case up with a V8 motor/trans?
• I heard someone mention something about a remote oil filter kit. Is this necessary and where does the stock oil filter interfere? (the crossmember?)
• Is a mini alternator needed?
• What rad. Fan will work with this combo? Do I need a super thin electric fan?
• Are there motor mounts that I can buy? I know we have afco universal motor mounts on our race car. Would they work well?
• How much do I need to increase the spring rates for the heavier V8? Are there coil helper springs that would work?
• Will the engine clear the suspension? I heard that they dropped the suspension on some conversions.
Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by Taylor; 09-16-2011 at 02:23 PM.