Now I'm not really into thumping sound systems... and actually the stock HU does most everything I want. Buuuuut.. even though the factory stock system is *decent* I wanted more. Especially more bass. I refuse to spend big money on a "system".. and so what to do?
Well in times past I've gone this route of replacing just the stock speakers only to be disappointed nearly every time. This time, I just happen to have an Xplod amp and three Xplod subs laying around not getting used. So I figured I'd get 4 new xplod speakers from the local wal-mart. Then later in the summer I'll put in the amp and sub.
I'm not a young buck and don't want to go down the street upsetting everyone..(like ya'll do me
) but I listen to all kinds of radio/music and really like to have a bass that you can feel when at highway speeds.
Anyway, I put the 4 speakers in today and I was for once pleasantly supprised! These things put out significantly more bass and higher highs. IMO the mid range could be better.. but considering how much I'm spending it's good enough. I really wanted some 3ways instead.. but they just didn't have any at my local store.
So.. I just wanted to let you guys (who don't want to replace the head unit) know that I give this a thumbs up! IMO it's worth the $120 and 4 hours I spent installing these new speakers.
1) I read the how to section. Helpfull.
2) I had to cut metal at all 4 places to get them to fit flush.. and I also had to slightly shave down the plastic face around the tweeters in the front doors so the door panel would go back on.
3) I did'nt use surrounds because I'm too cheap. Maybe one day I will just make some?
4) I went to three different places looking for push clips for the rear doors. Ford dealership was $97.71 for 22 push pins. (not kidding) Murrays was about a buck a pin. And autozone was $3.50 for 10.
5) The front door has 4 screws and three A clips that hold the handle area/panel on. Just pull it straight out and the door panel slides straight up.
6) The rear panels pull straight off the door. Gotta remove the top cover/bolt on the belt first.
Oh and my "standard" used as direct music comparisons were "Heavy" by collective soul, Chatahoochy (sp?) by Alan Jackson, and some old tunes from the doors (no bass really on that old stuff) I generally have the volume on 4.5 bars showing and *now* the outside mirrors will slightly blurr/shake at that same volume. Nice and clear even at 1/2 volume. (which is too loud for me)