I stated in another post that I would write up my mp3 charger install. Well I took a few pics but neglected to pull the whole bezel apart, but you've probably already got a good idea of whats behind the scenes anyway.
I'm not one of those people who have like 40 attachments sitting on their dash or mounted somewhere in front of them like some sort of mobile office. I never really liked all that stuff. I kinda find it distracting, but that's just me. So, when I set out to do this entire venture (the sound system as a whole) I wanted it as stealth as possible and clean looking too. I'm just about done with hiding it all for the most part (minus the sub) as I have to find a way to add some fabric over the big hole in the rear door panel.
So, here goes...
This is the dash. (Sorry the pic is blurry as I was trying to take pics before the battery died.) Tried to keep it as neat as possible. Only thing out of the ordinary would be...
The obvious big blue button
Sitting where the cigarette lighter used to be.
In the glove box (all nice and tucked away...)
Is the MP3 player. A Sony NW-HD3 to be precise. (Named it the anti-pod, much to my wife's chagrin...) At this point, I can here a few of you mumbling to yourself, "Yeah, but how do you use it if it's in the glovebox, you dope..."
Well, upon closer inspection...
you can notice the larger than normal headphone connector on the right side. It plugs into the remote port on the walkman (yay Sony for making SOME things universal) and runs to a converter box (tucked just inside the right side of the glovebox doorway) that makes the Sony CDX-F5700 see it as a (really big) CD Changer, allowing me to control it all from the head unit or the remote control. (Kinda pointless that remote as my fingers are about 3" from the radio when I'm shifting...)
The thing plugged into the left side of the player is the charging/usb unit (never understood why Sony did it this way....) which is wired into the charging unit I built from a schematic I sto... umm.. borrowed.
I tucked the box (which had some sort of mounting hole or whatnot) up under the air vent box above where the glovebox door closes. Found out that I had to install a ferrite choke on the wire from the switch as it introduced a little bit of engine whine when in use.
while also blurry, is the last step in keeping this under wraps. I built the platform to hold the amps and provide a level area to put stuff on. Shaved the rear panel and found that cargo net at a surplus joint. I was going to bolt it all into place, but it fit rather nicely this way too, so one less thing to tear apart... Lucky me.
Like I said, the last thing to hide is the sub and I have a few ideas on what to do about hiding it.
Hope y'all enjoyed it.