Learning the hard way.
Long story spanning a year almost to the day. I was looking on craigslist list one day. And came across a little Ford ranger for $950. So I went to go look at it. Had 49,138 on it at The time. The whole seller didn't know any thing about. Other then it would run. It had 4 flat tires, no seat, and the tail lights were missing all with other minor parts. The rest of the truck was intact. So I bought the truck. We loaded it with a tractor. When I got home with it. I put a battery in it. Tried starting with the key. Nothing. The security light was flashing, which made me think that it was the pat system was out. So I used some starting fluid and bumped it with the screw driver off the starter. The engine fired. After that. I looked in the fuse panel. And noticed the diode fuse was gone. So after a few more weeks of tinkering with. And no luck with getting to start with the key. I took it to the dealer. One month and $1289.00 later. I was able to start it with the key. Had a $512 Ford fuel pump put in by the dealer. Still unable to drive it do to no clutch. I loaded it back on the trailer and bought it home. Took the transmission out. A lot of bolt in the bell housing. Put a new clutch kit and completely new clutch master cylinder kit. Along with new u joints. I was able to drive it around the yard and down the road a short ways. That's when I noticed the miss in the engine was serous. So after plugging in the scanner. I see multiple. Codes. The same as every one else had. Running short on money. I left the truck sit tinkering with it when I was home. So after replacing the fuel lines, fuel filter. The misfire and rough idle was still there. No change in how it ran. So I replaced the ecu with new chip keys. hoping that would fix the problem. $250 on eBay. Plus another $125. For key programmer. Also from eBay. After installing and programing the keys. Still no change in how it ran. So still being short on money. And frustrated with how it ran. I left it sit again only tinkering with when I was home and had the time. Close to late August. So after more diagnostics work. I finger the injector were. Bad. After all when I bought the truck. The only thing I knew for certain. Is it sat for at least 6 years broke down. But how the gas smelled back when i first got the truck. So I left the truck sit again. Planned time off over thanks giving to work on the truck. Ordered new injectors and new coil from eBay. $135.00 for both. 2 days before thanksgiving. My home was robbed by the neighbors boy. On his way out he stole the mail and packages left at the gate. So bye-bye injectors and coil. I got the call while I was delivering in New caney, Texas. We got got him. Used my eBay account to get him. Back to the truck. So had to leave truck sit again until this Christmas. Ordered new injectors from another source. $155.00 for 4 injectors Got them installed them. Started the truck. And it ran worse. So frustrated with it still. I went to O'Reilly auto parts. And bought new coil, plugs, and wires. Installed those!!! Ran better, but still had the misfire on number one. So thinking that everything that could be done, Had been done. And that's how it's going to run. Disappointed with it. I left it out in the yard think it was junk. And better off as parts. So I started tinker with it again this Saturday. Checking everything again. Still frustrated with the engine. I cleaned all the tools out of it. Got ready to post back on craigslist. And decided to give the internet one more try for help. That when I found. Lemmys post on this sit. And then found. This very thread. So I went out and checked the intake I took off 5 times before time. Started the truck. And checked the intake. Sure enough there it was. The whole in the front and the missing plug. So I placed my index finger over the runner hole with the engine running. And the engine ran smooth. So after yanking the intake off again. And not having the original plug for the hole. I used a large rubber vacuum plug and jb weld to fix the problem. It cured the codes, misfire. And the rough idle. I only wish I could have found this tread sooner. It would have saved close to a $1000 dollars.
Thankyou for taking the time to post this fix on the internet. And being honest in doing it.