Check this out.
I had my entire front housing out and on a bench in about an hour and a half. And I am no whizz mechanic by any means. The cv shafts are easy.
1. Properly secure vehicle, block off tires ect...
2. Take the passenger side tire off.
3. crank your wheel all the way to the right.
4. Remove brake caliper.
5. Undo ~200 ft lb axle nut 1 1/4"
6. Take out the bolt holding the ball joint to the upper arm.
7. Knuckle will fall down.
8. Remove shock
9. Pull CV out, you may have to gently pry between the housing and CV to get it loose.
Installation is reverse.
It really is easy. I carry a spare long side CV on the trail with me, along with a 1 1/4" socket.
Also shop around for your CV shaft. Kragen quoted me almost $200. A local independant shop got me one with no core charge for $45.
RockAuto.com has them listed for $54 each.