How to replace a cam synchro on a 3.0
Written by: Toreador4x4
Time taken: 40 minutes
My cam synchro was going bad and squeaking like a mouse, so i decided to replace it today...
1. Unplug and remove the cam synchro stator. The stator is the sensor on top of the synchro held on by two 5.5mm bolts.
2. Rotate the engine until the cam synchro alignment tool falls in to the top of the cam synchro, this puts the motor at TDC. It doesnt matter if it is TDC on compression or intake.
3. Remove the 10mm bolt that holds the synchro in to the engone block and remove the synchro
4. Install the synchro tool onto the new cam synchro and install it in the engine with the arrow facing the rear of the vehicle, the synchro will turn about one "clock" position as it falls in to engage itself in the helical cut cam gear. If it does not go in and seat all the way to the block, try again, you may not be engaged in the oil pump drive.
5. Tighten down the 10mm bolt that holds the synchro in place and remove the tool.
6. Install the new cam stator and gently tighten the 5.5mm bolts.
7. Plug in the sensor wiring.