My first attempt at disassembling & painting a Ford emblem didn't go as planned.
I first heated the front of the emblem until it was quite hot. I took a utility knife blade and pried up one edge, then used a small screwdriver to continue to pry the face off. Unfortunately, it must have been too hot as the plastic warped something awful. After another heat cycle, I tried to bend the plastic back into shape & this is the result....
There's no way of saving the insert, but the chrome backing is in good shape & I'm going to try & print out a few Ford logos with some high quality gloss photo paper in an inkjet printer. I'll cover the paper with some plain plexi to keep it safe. It won't make it outside, so this one will be delegated to the side of my tool box in the garage.
After spending a LOT more time on my second one, I came up with this...
It's my first "successful" black emblem.
The hardest part came when removing the insert.
Unlike before, I heated the BACK of the emblem only this time. One of the tabs on the back is a little bent now from all the heat.
This emblem was already starting to come apart on one end, so I was able to insert the corner of a blade to help pry the face off once the back was hot. This worked ok, enough to get a small screwdriver in there for more control. Rather than break another front, I decided (while it was still warm) to pour in some Goo Gone between the front & chrome back to loosen the adhesive. This worked a little as I was able to see the adhesive & with the screwdriver holding the front up, I could use the blade to begin cutting the adhesive from the back.
Some of the chrome inside the Ford script still stuck to the adhesive & pulled off, leaving areas where there was some chrome and some that were just clear.
The only way I could remedy this was to scrape all the remaining chrome from the Ford script using an xacto knife & a magnifying glass. Skip forward about 8 hours & I had all the chrome removed & rinsed the emblem many times with paint thinner to help loosen any remaining blue paint that had worked into the chrome areas.
If anybody has access to a sandblaster, I bet you could carefully remove all the chrome from the Ford script & the outer oval to make eliminate the scratches. If you have a sandblaster & have the time I'd be interested in trying this sometime.
For now, I'm leaving the chrome outer ring as is... luckily none of the chrome peeled off here.
The first coat of paint (the Ford script) is Krylon silver metallic paint that looks almost chrome. Unfortunately, there are millions of tiny little scratches in the Ford script from scraping the chrome out. You can't see them unless you look closely, but I know they're there.
A few coats of silver to fill in any areas that looked light or thin.
After the silver dried, I wet sanded the entire back with 400 - 1000 grit paper and washed a few times with soap & water, then 70% rubbing alcohol to remove any fingerprints I may have left.
Second coat of paint (old blue backing) is Krylon Fusion gloss black. I wanted something that would adhere to the backing as well as possible.
A few coats later & it was ready to have the front worked on.
During the chrome scraping; paint thinner, whatever other chemicals I used, the front became quite scratched, smudged and ugly.
With the new black emblem still outside the chrome holder, I wet sanded the front to 1000 grit & buffed with some plastic compound until it was a near perfect finish.
I found my emblem adhesive glue has turned into a sticky booger-like goo that won't squeeze from the tube, rather I had to pull it from the nozzle... no good.
With no other proper emblem glue around, I grabbed some construction adhesive (small tube) and smoothed on a thin layer onto the newly polished black insert.
I held the insert in place (it was a little off from the heating, bending, scraping & polishing) with some electrical tape stretched tight to apply as much pressure as I could.
After a few hours of drying, I removed the tape & here's the result.
It's not perfect, but it's not too bad for my second attempt. I've since polished it again to remove some of the tape residue & smudges I didn't see before.
The only big problem is that I noticed a small crack in the plastic just to the right of center above the top of the F. I guess I couldn't see it when I was removing the front part due to the other scratches & gunk on the emblem.
Hopefully, emblem #3.... will go smoother.