General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trucks giving me grey hairs, NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trucks giving me grey hairs, NEED HELP!

Ok well 2 weeks ago my truck wouldn't turnover. It was cranking but wouldn't start. Looked around in the engine bay found one of my spark plug wires was a little loose from the coil pack. After tightening that it started right up. Now yesterday I was getting ready to go home from work, and my truck did the same thing, but wouldn't start period. It would crank but not turnover. I was close enough form home to get pulled by my friend. Any ideas to what could be the issue? I'm thinking it could be a bad coil pack, maybe? Oh my spark plugs and spark plug wires are a year old. Bosch wires and motorcraft plugs, if that means anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-09-2010
Went out to go try and start it this morning and it still doesn't want to turnover.

Old 05-09-2010
Level III Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not turning over or turning over and not starting? Those are 2 very different things.

Old 05-09-2010
Its turning over but not starting. Sorry I said it wrong.

Old 05-09-2010
Old Guy User…
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
Maybe a complete tune up is in your future.
Plug Wires, new Plugs, check the Coil Pack for carbon on the connections, if there either clean up or replace the Coil.
After that clean up all of the electrical connections for the coil, the solenoid and the battery.
after all of the connections have been cleaned up and the new parts are installed get the battery load tested and have the alternator done at the same time.
If the battery even looks like it isn’t up to par, replace it.

IMHO… all of the electrical components need to be at their peak performance level in order to have the engine start, run and have the electrical system work the way it was intended to.

Luck,

Old 05-09-2010
Thanks Grev, I'm probably going to do just that. I'll stop by Summit and pick up a performance coil pack today, and see what that does. I just replaced the plugs in the fall so I really don't think they need replaced, Wires I'm probably going to replace cause I don't think these bosch wires are to good even though there only a year old. Thanks for the the reply!

Old 05-09-2010
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Basically for an engine to run it has to have a few things. Spark, fuel, compression, and the timing has to be right. With modern vehicles there are alot of variables that come into play such as crank sensors cam sensors, air flow sensors and computers. In other words just because you have spark doesn't mean its happening enough or at the right time and just because you have fuel doesn't mean you have enough pressure. Try putting some gas in the throttle body and see if it tries to start. If it does its probably a fuel problem. If not its probably ignition and most likely a coil but could be the air flow sensor(try unplugging it)

Old 05-09-2010
Thanks John for the reply! So I'm pretty confused now haha. I got home from Summit Racing, Thought I'd try once more to see if the truck would start, and it did. But I figured obviously theres a problem so I went ahead and replaced the stock coil pack with the Accel Coil Pack, went to try and start it and it was making popping noises and just wouldn't start. Put the stock one back on and it fired right up. This doesn't make much sense to me considering I'm not hurting it by putting a nicer better coil pack on, so weird.

Old 05-09-2010
Level III Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key to "on" but not start?

Old 05-09-2010
I didn't check to hear for the fuel pump when I tried to start it with the new coil pack but I did listen to hear for the fuel pump before I changed it and it was working. The fuel pump was replaced last summer so its fresh.

It was making the same popping noises as to when my fuel pump went bad, Could the new coil pack be causing my fuel pump to act funny, just a thought. I'm tempted to go swap in the accel coil pack again and see if I hear the fuel pump.

Last edited by cchsbuzz19; 05-09-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-09-2010
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had the same problem u have but it was in my 99 it turn out to be a bad crank sensor it was intermitanty not sending a signal your truck will start without a cam sensor but not without a crank sensor i would recommend that i got mine it was only like 30 buck

Old 05-09-2010
Thanks for the tip Sean! where did you get it at? Is it easy to replace yourself? I'm going to replace this either way. I'm going on a little road trip at the end of the month and the last thing I need is for my truck not to start lol.

Old 05-10-2010
i got the new one from autozone (u will probbly need to pay more i used my dealler discount but shouldnt be to much) on the 3.0 its on the pass side next to the crank damper not total shore about the 4.0 but probbile same spot when i took the old one off it broke and needed to use visegrips to get the small bushing out not shore with yours but every easy to get too from the bottom.
i replaced mine because of a no start and working at chryl it one of the first thing that go bad with no starts very common in chryls so i said what the change im wrong it cheep lets do it

Old 05-10-2010
2nd the crank sensor, had the same problem a year ago. Same random starting and not starting. I had it done at a local shop by a friend, cost me a lot less than normal, if i recall he said the normal price with labor at a shop was around 200$

Old 05-11-2010
Alright sweet. I'm probably going to have my mechanic do it. He said he could do it for a pretty good deal. It acted up on me again this morning so I've got to get it done soon. Thanks again guys!

Old 05-11-2010
It sounds like you are loosing some spark out the dries wires or boots. Wet weather causes the spark to travel to the nearest ground when the insulation dries up and the spark can't fire the plug.

Old 05-11-2010
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cchsbuzz19
Thanks Grev, I'm probably going to do just that. I'll stop by Summit and pick up a performance coil pack today, and see what that does. I just replaced the plugs in the fall so I really don't think they need replaced, Wires I'm probably going to replace cause I don't think these bosch wires are to good even though there only a year old. Thanks for the the reply!
Not a fan of bosch ignition stuff. Their spark plugs are poopy. BTW I live in Tallmadge (Summit racing is 5 min away). If you see a toreador red reg cab 2wd 2000 ranger with 4x4 grille and valence and clear corner lights thats me. Honk.

Old 05-12-2010
Originally Posted by Masteratarms93
Not a fan of bosch ignition stuff. Their spark plugs are poopy. BTW I live in Tallmadge (Summit racing is 5 min away). If you see a toreador red reg cab 2wd 2000 ranger with 4x4 grille and valence and clear corner lights thats me. Honk.
Yeah I'm going to probably replace my bosch wires. And my horn doesn't work lol