General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Green Ultragauge (large pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon10 Green Ultragauge (large pics)

Well I got my Ultragauge today. Haven't quite tuned it yet, but I've already taken it apart twice!

See, I have an affinity for the stock theme in my truck. Therefore, a bluish-white gauge in a sea of green really grinds my gears. The color had to change. So I dug out some green transparent film I had sitting around...

Name:  CaWn7.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  485.2 KB

Yup, it'll work (sorry for the bad picture quality, I can't work a camera for ****). I followed CLD's guide for taking it apart (found here), and started cutting my film down carefully.

Name:  cwUoX.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  464.0 KB
Name:  qZ16E.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  434.5 KB

It looks a bit dusty in this pic, but it really turned out well. The finished product:

Name:  wicqe.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  248.5 KB

Next to the radio for brightness comparison... as you can see, it's still plenty bright...

Name:  mmIl7.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  427.8 KB

I think I'm the first one to do this. At least, the first to post about it!

Old 01-10-2011
RF Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So sick! If I get one this is happening

Old 01-10-2011
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm wonder how red would look

Old 01-10-2011
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Damn i need to do this to mine!!!! I knew the trick from the UG forums, but hadnt seen a film that worked great. Where did u purchase ur green film? Or beyter yet do u have any left u could send my way

Old 01-10-2011
RF Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if they offered a metric right now i'd buy one. i hope they do it in this upgrade next month.

Old 01-10-2011
Scrambles the DeathDealer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm glad I already have blue LED's in gauges and buttons so I don't have this problem

Looks awesome though

Old 01-10-2011
RF Veteran
i just read in a thread on their site, if you need the metric version and don't want to wait you might be able to buy it now, save some cash incase they raise the price. then when the metric update happens you can ship it back and have them upgrade the unit. the only downside is that you have to pay for shipping two maybe three times. but honestly, use a padded envelope instead of a box.

i posted in that thread and when i get an update i'll let you guys know.

Old 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by dixie_boysles
Damn i need to do this to mine!!!! I knew the trick from the UG forums, but hadnt seen a film that worked great. Where did u purchase ur green film? Or beyter yet do u have any left u could send my way
I purchased this stuff off of eBay a little over 3 years ago, seller was paperstreetplastics (paperstplastics@aol.com) and the stuff was called "Green High Temp Transparent Plastic Film"... it comes in 8.5x11 sheets. If I had any scraps left big enough to make another I'd hook ya up, but this was the last of my sheet. Sorry.

It remains to be seen how well this stuff works in daylight (glare and such). I'm still trying to decide on a location to put this thing, so hopefully in the next day or 2 I'll get a good test out of it.

A note to anyone doing this mod: be VERY careful while pulling this thing apart. I broke 2 of the plastic tabs without even trying to exert any force. So much for the warranty... but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Old 01-11-2011
Nicely done I'm with you that the blue wouldn't work at all for me with my all green lite truck and was thinking I could change out the LED's to color change but very cool much simpler solution :)

Old 01-11-2011
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have you drove yours during the day and in different lights. On the site forums for the ultragauge they offer this idea but most said in certain lights and during the way you could kinda see it and it not be perfect. But if it stays looking good for the way you did it then ill def have to do it.

Old 01-11-2011
Level III Supporter
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks great! I'm kind of wishing I got one of those instead of a SG2. I'd like to see metric measurements as well.

Old 01-11-2011
Man, that looks great!

Wayne

Old 01-12-2011
RF Veteran
ok, i got a response about metric on their forum.

this was what i asked:
so if i buy this now to save some cash, when you guys do the metric update (assuming you haven't yet) all i'd have to do is send in my unit and you can do the metric update then?

the site's admin responded:
Details regarding the Metric update will be announced as soon as possible.
There would likely be not cost advantage to ordering now.

the metric is the only roadblock right now. i hope they get it taken care of soon. i'd like to buy one but if i can only get gallons, its kinda useless.

Old 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by ZWilson07
have you drove yours during the day and in different lights. On the site forums for the ultragauge they offer this idea but most said in certain lights and during the way you could kinda see it and it not be perfect. But if it stays looking good for the way you did it then ill def have to do it.
So far, so good. Daylight, night, under most artificial lights I think I'll encounter normally. I think the difference between the plastic I used and those on the UG forums is that mine is darker and thicker. This stuff is like transparency paper, and looks almost black against a tabletop.

Old 01-12-2011
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be doing this in blue to mine... I want it really blue to match my LED interior!