General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Xploder OHC...for me!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005
Location: Coal Region, MTC to be exact...heart of the coal region.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Xploder OHC...for me!?

Ok so some fellars on fullsizebronco.com have done the exploder OHC swap. now for me to do one, since y'all are familiar with this, ill id need is the temp sensor an the actual OHC, right?

im not worried about mounting as i know ill have to cut n trim. my next question is, for the non sun roof versions, does that little door open? is it useful for mounting switches or hiding my magic elves in? or is it just for show? im not familair with these, as my moms 03 exploder has the sunroof button...

me thinks thats it for now, adios

Old 03-03-2005
RF Veteran
Without the VSS signal, I think it's going to have crappy temperature updates sometimes. If there is a VSS signal in your truck, make sure to find it and tap it. I can't see otherwise why you can't use it. You need switched and unswitched power, ground, and the VSS to get it up and running properly, disregarding the lights. They're easy so no big deal.

Old 03-03-2005
VSS=vehicle speed sensor? i dont exactly know what u mean by that...lol. becasuse if u mean that little temp sensor i know i have to have that...i skimmed the article on fullsizebronco so im not sure.

they also have the wiring colors and stuff for doing up the lights and all.

now about that garage door opener thing...is that really a useable pocket...thats the selling point for me getting one.

Old 03-03-2005
RF Veteran
It's not useable for much -- but some people keep sunglasses in it, depending on style.

Yes, VSS=Vehicle Speed Sensor. Calibration is not so critical -- it's just a "is the darn truck moving or not?" type of thing.

Old 03-03-2005
RF Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can keep sunglasses in there and the speed sensor is not too important... mine has not been working since it was installed last may... it just reads the temp when you start the truck and will follow the temp change if it goes down any but it wont change if it gets warmer while you are driving

Old 03-03-2005
RF Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The early 90s F-series took the VSS signal from a sensor reading the speed of the ring gear in the rear axle housing. The signal conversion for the speedometer was done by the PSOM (Programmable Speedometer Odometer Module) instead of by the PCM as is done on current Rangers.

As a side note, you can make tire size corrections for your 93 F150's speedo in the PSOM using the dealer procedure. I believe that there was a limit on how many recals you could do in the life of the vehicle.

This is Bronco info but it is the same for F-series.
http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbroncos/tech/psom.html

Last edited by V8 Level II; 03-03-2005 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2005
yup i am planning on doing it. it is 6 changes u can make before u need a new PSOM. thanks for the tip though.

ok so that VSS isnt nesseccary then i wont sweat it. ill pull up and see if i can find a way to tap into it for SnGs...that article on FSB may have mentioned it anyway.

hey anyone have a pic of that sunglasses compartment? i am so doing this mod!!! rock on!!! now my elves have a place to sleep!!!!bwahahaha

Old 03-03-2005
RF Veteran
Without the VSS, the temperature will appear to "hang" under certain conditions, and won't update.

Old 03-03-2005
bah, not really important. read up about it and if u mount it right shouldnt have a problem.

so where did everyone mount theres?

i think i figured out the garage door opener thing...that button on the back opens the compartment and the garage door button just pushes a button that will push the garage door opener? ya so...i cant wait to get this biatch =-D

Old 03-03-2005
RF Veteran
Originally Posted by optikal illushun
so where did everyone mount theres? =-D
To the Explorer mounting bracket screwed to the cab ceiling. Not sure what you're asking.

Old 03-03-2005
the temp sensor...its been a LOOONNGGG day

Old 03-03-2005
RF Veteran
the temp sensor...its been a LOOONNGGG day
Away from the radiator, obviously, and out of the weather. You might try the radiator bulkhead near the headlight area.

Old 03-03-2005
k, sounds good.

Old 03-03-2005
RF Veteran
bah, not really important. read up about it and if u mount it right shouldnt have a problem.=-D
Doesn't matter WHERE you mount the temp sensor. Without the VSS signal, it won't work right under certain conditions and you can count on it. All of us who did it that way experienced it and I recommend everyone to hook it up.

The console doesn't always care -- BUT: it has an algorithm to keep the console from registering engine heat and the like and under certain outdoor temperature conditions, it won't update the sensor if the temperature is going up, only down. It will only show an increase in temperature if the vehicle is moving. So, don't think the mounting will help -- it won't.

Since it doesn't do it all the time, we at first thought the VSS didn't matter and my original how-to said so. I was wrong. If you've got it, hook it up if you want the temperature to work right.

Old 03-03-2005
ill try to get a wiring scematc and trace down that wire.

Old 03-04-2005
RF Veteran
John- I don't know if the console can use the raw VSS pulse directly from the sensor, do you? The Explorers/Rangers use the signal from the PCM to the speedo, cruise, etc. On the F-150, does he need to tap the signal after the PSOM, maybe going to the PCM or speedo head?

Old 03-04-2005
RF Veteran
Supposedly, the signal is conditioned to "look" like the original raw signal. It's a fairly low voltage (not logic levels), quasi-sinusoidal signal that is on the VSS line in the Ranger (I've had a scope on it). I think it should work fine.