Project Logs For detailed builds specific to the Ford Ranger, one thread per vehicle please.

rstangboi's SAS thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rstangboi's SAS thread

finally making a sas buildup thread so i atleast have one place to put all my pics

The reason behind this buildup is that i was finally fed up with IFS. All my friends have solid axles and have no issue of clearance or anything, i kept up with them fine but my front end was slowly starting to feel it...So I decided to save up and found a killer deal on this axle set and it just so happened to be off of a ranger already! So i gave my offer and went from there. What made it so easy was the fact that i got all the measurements and everything so that the bulk of the brainstorming was already done for me.

I wanted to be able to run 35s up to 37s with a lil trimming to fit em and definitely wanted lockers. I wanted to have a rig i could still somewhat DD but know i could wheel the hell out of when i wanted to. Well i got what i wanted with alot of saving up and this is what i got.

Name:  100_1007.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  69.1 KB

and the rig i got my setup from

Name:  DSC00351.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  DSC00444.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  47.6 KB

my axles

Name:  100_1008.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  79.3 KB

front axle
Waggy d44
parts mike hi steer
btf diff cover
warn premium hubs
slotted and drilled rotors (lol)
detroit locker
4.88's
6 on 5.5 adapters? not sure if theyre adapters or spacers
mounts ready for hydro assist too

rear axle
expo 8.8 from an 01
detroit locker
4.88's
btf diff cover
6 on 5.5 adapters
new brakes

i have a
-sky drop pitman arm with a gm 1ton taper
-yota box
-rancho 44044's for the front and alcans for the rear,
-35in mtr's with like 2in of backspacing on the steelies but i just bought new ones with 4.75in backspacing
-manual tcase to swap in
-sky shock hoops

so then the ifs was off!

Name:  100_1122.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  68.7 KB

soon followed the first cut

Name:  100_1133.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  99.2 KB

then the bulk of it was done

Name:  me.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  86.9 KB

along with alot of cleaning and this is what i had

Name:  mee.jpg
Size:  59.1 KB

Name:  meee.jpg
Size:  73.8 KB

then the axle was finally under!

Name:  100_1177.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  82.4 KB

Name:  100_1180.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  107.5 KB

Name:  100_1175.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  91.1 KB

then i bought these to fix that issue of how far out my wheels hang

Name:  100_1181.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  69.9 KB

and then this event side tracked me

Name:  100_1168.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  132.4 KB

right now i really have no ride to go work on it so its at a slow halt currently.
I do have the rear axle and leafs out and the new leafs in...only thing from keeping the rear axle from being put in is the fact that i have had no time to get down there and put it on haha.

Hopefully soon itll be on its own weight so i can trailer it back into town so i can
-finish boxing up my shackle perches
-plate my frame for the steering box
-weld in my front shock hoops
-make my rear shock mounts.

Then i get the fun task of putting in my manual tcase so i can measure up for shocks and a front driveshaft.

Cool part is though that ive done most of this work with only about 5 4-5hour days, which i think isnt too much personally. My goal was to have it on its own weight in a week but that got side tracked, so now my goal is to have it up and running atleast in 2wd before my senior year ends...so i can show all those stupid rich spoiled kids at school whats up (which gives me about a month left lol)

Old 04-20-2010
this is going to be a good build if you do it right, you have a ton of good parts to work with... if you set it up correctly, your rig WILL MOB!!! i would take off the "spacers" if it was mine. what kind of welder are you using?

Old 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by wellcom2knoxvile
this is going to be a good build if you do it right, you have a ton of good parts to work with... if you set it up correctly, your rig WILL MOB!!! i would take off the "spacers" if it was mine. what kind of welder are you using?
thanks.

as for the spacers....idk why, but i just thought of taking those off...but now im curious as to how far in my new wheels would tuck and if i'd have rubbing issues...so we'll see, cuz theyre on originally to apparently bring it to the same width as the rear cuz of the adapters in the rear

as for welder...various ones haha i so far used a lincoln mig...idk which one, and next to finish it off, itll prolly be my friends miller (if ur judging my welds off of the front ones on the leaf hanger...please dont lol. i was having issues with the welder there and 4 people lookin over my shoulder. theres better welds everywhere else hah)

Old 04-20-2010
RF Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good man. Not to steer you to far off topic, but whats going on with the mazda?

Old 04-20-2010
RF Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
looks like a nice start man -- keep it going!

Old 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by Sonic04Edge
Looks good man. Not to steer you to far off topic, but whats going on with the mazda?
no prob, its part of the topic haha

its totalled. im letting it go...and waiting for insurance money. No idea whats happening to the kid who hit and ran...but apparently not much seems to have happened to him so far.

and as far as what ill do with the money, i dont think itll be enough for a decent truck so it might just go into buying a few nice final parts for the ranger and a good welder. who knows though. sad situation for me either way....not much of a win.

Old 04-20-2010
RF Veteran
Originally Posted by rstangboi
no prob, its part of the topic haha

its totalled. im letting it go...and waiting for insurance money. No idea whats happening to the kid who hit and ran...but apparently not much seems to have happened to him so far.

and as far as what ill do with the money, i dont think itll be enough for a decent truck so it might just go into buying a few nice final parts for the ranger and a good welder. who knows though. sad situation for me either way....not much of a win.
That sucks man I really liked that truck. You could probably find a nice gen3 ranger. Nice one's run from 1500-3000 roughly

Old 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by Sonic04Edge
That sucks man I really liked that truck. You could probably find a nice gen3 ranger. Nice one's run from 1500-3000 roughly
ya but why do the same thing again....thats how i feel about it.

if i get another vehicle, itll be a fullsize so i can tow the ranger on a trailer when i need to.

Old 04-20-2010
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can you part out the mazda? Thinking i should finaaaaaaaaaaalyyyyyyyyyyyy drop mine

hell if the hoods painted lets at least swap those out or something

Old 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by Melt
can you part out the mazda? Thinking i should finaaaaaaaaaaalyyyyyyyyyyyy drop mine

hell if the hoods painted lets at least swap those out or something
lol pm me an offer on the hood if your serious...its still out at paint right now.

as for the rest of the parts...those are probably a lost cause.

Old 04-20-2010
RF Veteran
Gonna be beast!

Old 04-20-2010
Looking good! I have pictures of that white Ranger that I saved along with a bunch of others when I was researching for my swap. That Ranger is one of the reasons I didn't go with the 44044 leafs! I think it is too tall, but the way mine is setup with the shackles in the front I could have gone that route and it wouldn't have been as tall.

Old 04-20-2010
lovin it! dont understand why more SAS rangers just do leaf. way cheaper that Coilovers or trying to do a 3 link.. yea ride is totally different but muf easier of a swap.

Old 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by mlw20lu
lovin it! dont understand why more SAS rangers just do leaf. way cheaper that Coilovers or trying to do a 3 link.. yea ride is totally different but muf easier of a swap.
x2. if i were to do a SAS id go for leafs

Old 04-20-2010
damn dude ok you got me im jealous and i want this, that white ranger is awsome might i add......sucks *** about your mazda though hope you can get around or just speed up the process

Old 04-20-2010
dude ur sas is mean. well done. cant wait to see the end result!

Old 04-20-2010
dont you need to put the shackles on the front, not the back of the springs?

Old 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by stephen.g.fiddes
dont you need to put the shackles on the front, not the back of the springs?
You can run them either way, there are advantages and disadvantages to both set ups.

Old 04-20-2010
black step sides ftw

the soft 8's are gonna look good with those meats.

Old 04-20-2010
RF Veteran
Originally Posted by EricRanger
You can run them either way, there are advantages and disadvantages to both set ups.
yep, and one major one in having the shackle at the rear is it allows the axle to travel up and to the rear when you hit a bump,rock etc. when used the other way it has to almost travel up and forward against the way you are traveling

Old 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by INT3RC3PTOR
yep, and one major one in having the shackle at the rear is it allows the axle to travel up and to the rear when you hit a bump,rock etc. when used the other way it has to almost travel up and forward against the way you are traveling
yup, thats kinda the reason i dont like 3links they move foward on up travel and also to the side because of the track bar.

and the white ranger that he got the axles from is ****!

Old 04-20-2010
thanks for all the compliments guys!! and ya, that white ranger is the same one on pirate whos throwin mog axles on it....crazy....AND he already has an atlas lol

so heres some pics of the truck completely on its own weight!! now remember, i still have to flip the leafs around (brings the axle back 2.5") and get my frame plated and all that good stuff. Otherwise i had fun flexin it out haha

Name:  100_1219.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  80.3 KB

Name:  100_1200.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  81.9 KB

Name:  100_1196.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  84.6 KB

Name:  100_1195.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  64.7 KB

Name:  100_1191.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  82.8 KB

and it looks like ill have to trim my gastank skid plate....just a tad lol

Old 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by outdoorsman
Looking good! I have pictures of that white Ranger that I saved along with a bunch of others when I was researching for my swap. That Ranger is one of the reasons I didn't go with the 44044 leafs! I think it is too tall, but the way mine is setup with the shackles in the front I could have gone that route and it wouldn't have been as tall.
do you know if he ever had a buildup anywhere or anything?
he never mentioned one to me and all the pics i ever got of his setup were from pirate and what i got the day i got my axles.

it would be kinda cool if you had more pics of his truck to post...

Old 04-20-2010
i say with the backspace of the soft 8's and the 2.5 pull back on the azle you will be set. it will have a damn nice stance and just be ****!!!!! nice job man

Old 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by fourliter dan
i say with the backspace of the soft 8's and the 2.5 pull back on the azle you will be set. it will have a damn nice stance and just be ****!!!!! nice job man
thankyou.
it sucks cuz i dont get to work on it again till friday....i wanna get the leafs flipped around sooooooo bad lol

Quick Reply: rstangboi's SAS thread