Well I finally got around to cutting up my hitch I got a while back at the junk yard. I ended up just cutting 3" out of it, I wanted to maybe do more but I figured this would be fine. I had to remove the rear bumper since I had the mounts in the same area as the hitch mounts. It needed alot of work and some new mounts so I just decided to make a whole new bumper. I had a bunch of 2x5 and 2x2 tube steel laying around so I figured I'd see what I could do with it. And since I am layed off this keeps me busy, not working sucks.
Here are a few pics of the process of both, Not finished on the bumper yet cause I ran out of wire today, but should have it all finished and painted tomorrow. So I will throw up some new pics when It is.
here is the hitch all chopped up and tacked
here it is all welded up, with an added fish plate to the sides.
The bumper I used some 2x5 and 2x2 combined to make a 7" bumper with tapered ends. I thought about tipping the ends in to wrap around the edge of the bed more but I got lazy and left it strait.
The mounts to the frame are temps will be 1/4" plate and sandwiched between the frame and the hitch
capped the ends
Next I went to work on my d-ring tabs. I decided to build some instead of buy some to save some money. I used 3 pieces of 1/4" plate welded together.
grinded edges ready for welding
welded up but not ground down yet
Cut holes in the bumper to let the tabs pass through to be welded on the backside and front
Fully welded on the front, have to finish the rear when I get wire.Also have to weld the seam of the two pieces together and grind it down before I paint.
what it looks like on the truck..pretend the stick isn't there
The hitch sits right up tight to the bottom of the bumper.
Pretty simple design but it works, should fit better when I make my front bumper and when I get my sas done.