It really comes down to the tune and fuel used.
I've done several turbos on stock motors.
Here are my suggestions:
1) 7-8psi of intercooled boost *max* (4-5 if non intecooled)
2) Go with a smaller turbo vs a larger one because on this type of vehicle will do better with mid range improvement vs top end.
3) Keep the timing and fuel curve conservative. (have it dyno tuned on a mustang dyno)
4) Replace the complete exhaust system
5) Don't skimp on the intercooler. (#4 & #5.. You have a plastic intake and need to get the heat O-U-T of the engine room as well as the intake charge)
6) One range larger injectors (you don't want to go 100% duty cycle at WOT)
7) 180 t-stat
8) One range colder plugs and narrow the gap by 0.005"
9) Switch to a full synthetic oil or one with ZddP
10) Keep the shifts at the stock rpm points and increase the line pressure a little.
11) 93 or 94 octane fuel is a must.
Do those things.. and it'll last.