General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Help Heater Core Replacement 01 Edge W/AC

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006
Rev
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Help Heater Core Replacement 01 Edge W/AC

I know the dash will have to come off, but does anyone have the location of what bolts/screws/wiring/etc. that must be removed to get the dash up and out of the way and Box off the inside of the firewall? I've done these in GM Vehicals before, just dont know where all the in's and out's are on a 2001 Edge with AC.

Thanks,

Rev

Old 07-08-2006
Rev
Just got done putting the heater core in and it was a PITA!!!! But I saved $700.00 dollars in labor costs

Old 07-09-2006
MRC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I recall correctly,you don't have to pull the dash to do the heater core.The whole evap case should be removeable from under the hood.The heater core is in there.I did the evap on mine a few years ago and it wasn't that hard at all.Just wondering how you did yours,did you remove the evap case?
Edit:I was just looking at mine a realized that the heater core isn't in the evap box.So I guess you have to get to it from under the dash.I don't know what I was looking at when we did my evap.

Last edited by MRC; 07-09-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-10-2006
Rev
Originally Posted by MRC
If I recall correctly,you don't have to pull the dash to do the heater core.The whole evap case should be removeable from under the hood.The heater core is in there.I did the evap on mine a few years ago and it wasn't that hard at all.Just wondering how you did yours,did you remove the evap case?
Edit:I was just looking at mine a realized that the heater core isn't in the evap box.So I guess you have to get to it from under the dash.I don't know what I was looking at when we did my evap.

Yup you have to pull it from the inside and its a PITA...These are the steps in a nut shell...

Step 1. disconnect Battery Pos & Neg
Step 2. disconnect heater hoses, if not already done (leaking=by-pass till fixed).
Step 3. Pull PCM
Step 4. Pull glove box, center console bezel & radio, insturment bezel & cluster, Fuse block cover, Both kick panels, hood release, parking brake release handles, lower dash cover & metal plate, passengers side air bag.
Step 5. Remove Steering column support nuts (4 of them) and lower column on seat.
Step 6. move engine main fuse block aside and back off main wiring block bolts at firewall & disconnect harness. Pull block plastic retainer. Then from under dash pull harness from firewall on inside.
Step 7. Pull defroster vent bezel from top of dash...be careful and use a wide blade scraper or thin wood wedge.
Step 8. remove HVAC lower nut on passengers side.
Step 9. disconnect 2 vacuum lines from firewall and multi line vacuum gang plug.
Step 10. remove dash support bolts (1 right side, one top right, 2 top left, 2 left side). Note leave right and one left side bolts slightly in place to allow dash to slide forward on and help support it until your ready to pull the HVAC box.
Step 11. pull wiring harness tabs on backside of dash (glove box side) as needed to allow dash to move forward.
Step 12. Remove PCM heat shield and ground.
Step 13. Remove 3 nuts on HVAC box in engine compartment, one on firewall behine engine and pull HVAC box forward. Now remove hidden nut top center of HVAC and 2 more nuts on studs behind box.
Step 14. Pull HVAC box from inside loose.
Step 15. Get a friend and remove last 2 bolts supporting dash and pull it back. Have friend help support pasengers side of dash.
Step 16. Pull HVAC box down and out.
Step 17. Remove 6 small screws from top of box and pull core out.

PS: I added a extra small hose clamp on one of the metal lines from the core where it comes thru firewall and ran a wire from the clamp to ground.

Old 12-08-2010
How do you safely remove the passenger side air bag

Old 12-08-2010
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by issjoe
How do you safely remove the passenger side air bag
Disconnect the battery and what a few minutes and just unplug it. Its bolted in, you need to drop the glove box down to access them.

Old 12-08-2010
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kutos to issjoe for using the SEARCH feature. A zombie thread is much better then creating yet another same asked thread.

Old 04-08-2011
In removing the heater core you need to take off the clamps and screws to free the core. Its located inside a box under the dash.

Last edited by Michael Foster; 04-11-2011 at 07:29 PM.