General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Headlight and Fog Light mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight and Fog Light mod

I read a how to on where you can run both the hi-beams and the fog lights at the same time. It seems really easy to do and it would be beneficial when I'm out on hunting trails or just having fun in the desert. Is there a reason why ford has this thing wired so both can't be on? I don't want to fry anyhting. Is there any down sides too doing this? I'd like to do this but just don't want to mess up anyhting. Will it void my warranty? Sorry for all the questions but I just want to check everythng before I go and do it. Thanks

Old 10-16-2006
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's illegal, that's why it doesn't come like that stock.

It wont fry anything

Old 10-16-2006
^yep

i dont see any downsides and it wont void your warranty, hell i'd like to see a mechanic at Ford even be able to tell the mods been done under usual inspection/maintenance (and with the number of times they've looked at my truck they're 0 for 90)

Old 10-16-2006
oh ok lol! That is funny. They probably don't want morons driving around with all those lights on blinding people. Same with off-road lights I see. well that explains everything. Thanks a bunch guys and I'll be doing this sometime this week!

Old 10-16-2006
RF Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The procedure for the foglamp mod depends on the year range of the truck. This is the How-to for a 2005 Ranger:

https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...ead.php?t=7755

Old 10-16-2006
I've done this mod, but never really use my foglights..

Old 10-16-2006
for my model all i had to do was goin in the power distribution box and bend one of the little things over and bam its done. but i didnt know it was illegal. its illegal to drive with high beams and fogs on at the same time? well....its illegal to drive with high beams on anyway but still..

Old 10-16-2006
I have done this mod just a couple weeks ago and i am impressed. I did it in the parking lot at work and it took like one minute from opening the hood to closing it. verry easy and simple and impressive!

Old 10-17-2006
Which "flavor" of this MOD will work on an '01.

Old 10-17-2006
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bob how is it done on a '97?

Old 10-17-2006
RF Veteran
Originally Posted by this_is_nascar
Which "flavor" of this MOD will work on an '01.
99 through 2003 use 2 versions of John's bent pin mod.

1999~2000
2001~2003

2004+ needs a simple wire mod:

2004+

A short word of warning: It possible that this mod is illegal in some states. Also, if you have headlights, a pair of aux lights and foglamps on at the same time, that adds up to 6 forward facing lights. Most states have laws limiting forward facing lights to a maximum of four. Although it is rare, people on forums have reported being ticketed for running six or more front lights.

Old 10-17-2006
RF Veteran
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
I'll take a look at 97~98 and see if there is a good way. It will probably be a bit more involved than the other years.

Old 10-17-2006
Originally Posted by rwenzing
I'll take a look at 97~98 and see if there is a good way. It will probably be a bit more involved than the other years.
thanks Bob.......your an electrical genius!

Old 10-17-2006
i just did this to my 99 in about 50 secs and it works awesome!! thank JOHN!!

Old 10-17-2006
I just did this mod 3 days ago, in about 5 mins. Funny..when i hit lock button on my stock keyless entry, the fog lights blink too.

Old 10-17-2006
Originally Posted by 05ranger
I just did this mod 3 days ago, in about 5 mins. Funny..when i hit lock button on my stock keyless entry, the fog lights blink too.

yea i did this about 2 months ago and i noticed that. pretty neat

Old 10-17-2006
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 05ranger
Funny..when i hit lock button on my stock keyless entry, the fog lights blink too.

Mine have done that since new.

05's must be different

Old 12-11-2006
RF Veteran
when I hit lock on my 07 just the parking lights flash, be nice if the fogs did too..

Old 12-11-2006
Level III Supporter
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
rewire it like i did

Old 12-11-2006
Originally Posted by Redneckstone
rewire it like i did
ha ha ha! we are working on a way for the '95-'97 Rangers.....Bob thinks he has a way to do it, but i didn't get the chance to try it out over the weekend since i spent the weekend trying to figure out what was wrong with my truck....

Old 12-11-2006
ha ha ha! we are working on a way for the '95-'97 Rangers.....Bob thinks he has a way to do it, but i didn't get the chance to try it out over the weekend since i spent the weekend trying to figure out what was wrong with my truck....
DOH' What about the 98's. I have said several times that I will be a guinea pig and do what is told. It would be cool if I along with many other 98 owners could give this a go.

Old 12-11-2006
Originally Posted by bryanjints
DOH' What about the 98's. I have said several times that I will be a guinea pig and do what is told. It would be cool if I along with many other 98 owners could give this a go.
I recently did the foglight mod on my '98.

https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...9&postcount=14

Old 12-11-2006
Originally Posted by Rockledge
I recently did the foglight mod on my '98.

https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...9&postcount=14
Sweet. But I am not understanding your explination all the way. I don't have a trailer hitch do I have a trailer hitch circuit?

Old 12-11-2006
Originally Posted by bryanjints
Sweet. But I am not understanding your explination all the way. I don't have a trailer hitch do I have a trailer hitch circuit?
Go to page 99-100 of your owner's manual which identifies the relays and fuses in the power distribution box under the hood. Locate Relay #13 (park lamp/trailer tow relay) on the diagram in the OM and then check to see if that same relay is there on your truck. I can't see why it wouldn't be. You'll also want to take note of Relay #10 which is the fog lamp relay.

If the #13 relay is there, then here's how to do the mod:

First disconnect the negative batttery cable. Then unclip the fuse/relay box (under the hood) so you can get to the wires underneath it. Once you unclip the box from the truck, the bottom part of the box can then then be unclipped and removed from the upper part which will give you much better access to the wires.

Locate the fog lamp relay (#10) in the box and then find the dark blue/light green (DB/LG) wire that leads to it from underneath (pin #1 on the relay). This DB/LG wire is the power supply that energizes the fog lamp relay. Clip this wire and seal the end that leads back into the wire harness. The other end that leads to the relay will be connected to a new power source, one that is live when the park lamps and/or head lamps are on.

Now locate the park lamp/trailer tow relay (#13) in the box and find the brown (BR) wire that leads to it from underneath (pin #3 on the relay). The DB/LG wire from the fog lamp relay needs to be spliced into this BR wire. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Make sure your connections are good and that they are insulated well. At this point you might want to re-connect the negative battery cable and test out the mod before you buckle things back up. You should be good to go.

Old 12-20-2006
I've been very busy with school, work and life, but Friday a buddy and I are going to try and do the fog light mod. I would like to know where the fuses are located for the headlights/fog lights in case we mess something up. We're going to disconnect the battery but just in case. I know about the fuse box under the hood and the one in the passanger side where we will be working. Which fuse box are they in and if anybody has a diagram that would be cool too. What size fuse(s) are they too? I know this is a simple mod but I'm not good with electrical stuff at all. I can splice a wire an reconnect I just want to cover all the bases. Thanks

Quick Reply: Headlight and Fog Light mod