General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Thermostatic Fan Clutch Removal ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thermostatic Fan Clutch Removal ??

This morning I tried to install the Underdog underdrive crank pulley, but could not remove the fan and thermostatic clutch assembly to install the harmonic balancer puller.
The shaft is hex shaped so I suspect it unscrews from the water pump hub.
Has anyone removed the thermostatic clutch and fan assembly before?
If this were my Jeep Cherokee.... I would not be posting this question...., but working on the Ranger is always a learning curve....
This vehicle is the truck in my signature below.

Thanks for your assistance.... and early Merry Christmas.

OR 4x4

Old 12-23-2005
RF Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It does. I'm not sure about the 4.0 OHV. The 3.0 has a reverse thread on the clutch, and the 4.0 SOHC has a normally threaded fan clutch thread.

So, I guess #1 is knowing which way it goes.

The way I took mine off, when I went to an electric fan, was to use a chisel and a hammer. You can use the chisel to strike the hex obliquely and it works like an impact wrench -- you break loose the thread without having to worry about slipping of the belt.

Still, you need to know which way to go. I'll pull out one of the service CD's for that year and see what it says and post back.

Old 12-23-2005
you use a tool that holds on the 4 bolt heads sticking out..
its like 40mm or so

the tool looks like a giant open end wrench but thin.

Then you turn the hex shaft to loosen.

I did it with the belt off.. its alot easier with the belt on.
Rand

Old 12-23-2005
John and Rand,

Thanks for your assistance.
I measured the hex and it appears to be 1.5" or 38mm.
The service manual CD I have is so VAGUE.... it is almost useless !!!!
Just says you need a couple special tools, but says nothing about the hex size or what direction to turn it.

OR 4x4

Old 12-23-2005
RF Veteran
Okay, verifying from the manual that the 4.0 SOHC and 4.0 OHV are the same. Both have a fan clutch that is threaded on with a "normal", right hand thread.

Rand's right, there is a special tool. But if you're ditching the clutch especially, the chisel method works fine. I don't know why so many folks have cringed when I've spoken of it though, lol.

Old 12-23-2005
RF Veteran
Originally Posted by OffRoad 4x4
John,

Thanks for your assistance.
I measured the hex and it appears to be 1.5" or 38mm.
The service manual CD I have is so VAGUE.... it is almost useless !!!!
Just says you need a couple special tools, but says nothing about the hex size or what direction to turn it.

OR 4x4
In the one I have, which is from Ford, there is a "highlighted" (bold) note in the section, right after where they show the special tools. It says something like, "For the 3.0 only, the fan clutch mounting nut threads are left handed." That would seem to imply the 4.0's threading, even though it doesn't state it. I know from what folks have told me that the 4.0 SOHC is definitely left-handed. No surprise that the OHV is, I just wanted to check before I had you banging on it with a hammer, lol...

Old 12-23-2005
John,

Thanks for the info.....
My largest wrench is a 1 5/16" and 30 mm; so I am having a guy from work bringing home a 1.5" wrench so I can loosen it....
Tonight after the engine cools down.... I will try again....

OR 4x4

Old 12-23-2005
John,

In you first post you said the threads are right hand thread and then in your last post you state the OHC and OHV are the same; left hand threads. Am I reading one of these wrong ???

OR 4x4

Old 12-23-2005
The 3.0 is threaded backwards, the 4.0 SOHC and OHV come off the right way. The chisel and hammer method works well, it got the clutch off my 3.0:)

Old 12-23-2005
RF Veteran
John,

In you first post you said the threads are right hand thread and then in your last post you state the OHC and OHV are the same; left hand threads. Am I reading one of these wrong ???

OR 4x4
No, but I typed one wrong!

Correction: 4.0 - right hand (standard); 3.0 - left hand (reverse)

My inattentiveness, sorry!

Old 12-23-2005
Tried again this evening to remove the clutch fan... Looks like I am need to locate the special tools.... While I can use a 1.5" open end wrench on the hex shaft I could not locate anything to stop the water pump pulley from spinning. Unless the clutch fan can be removed.... there is not enough room to remove the harmonic balancer.
So close and yet so far......

OR4x4

Old 12-24-2005
RF Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Tried again this evening to remove the clutch fan... Looks like I am need to locate the special tools.... While I can use a 1.5" open end wrench on the hex shaft I could not locate anything to stop the water pump pulley from spinning. Unless the clutch fan can be removed.... there is not enough room to remove the harmonic balancer.
So close and yet so far......

OR4x4
Often, a sharp impulse will loosen it when steady torque just makes the belt slip on the pulleys. Just hit the wrench with a brass hammer and it will probably come right off. Mine did.

Old 12-24-2005
RF Veteran
I'm surprised the chisel method didn't work.

Old 12-25-2005
It Is Installed......

Today after eating Christmas lunch... I decided to try removing the fan clutch !!!
First I removed the K&N FIPK air tube and the factory fan belt.
Using a rubber strap wrench to hold the waterpump pulley I used a 1.5" wrench on the clutch fan hex shaft and tapped on the wrench lightly with a ballpean hammer.... VVVWHALA the shaft was loose.
Next came the crankshaft pulley... the bolts that came in the ASP kit for removal were TOO long..... Needed to locate (2) 8x1.25x100mm bolts, screwed them into the crankshaft pulley and used a harmonic balancer puller and it too was removed.
Removed oil seal from the factory pulley, installed the factory oil seal on the ASP pulley, applied a small dab of RTV to the hub key, warmed up the ASP pulley hub and put a little synthetic grease on the crank hub, pressed the ASP pulley on half way with the provided ASP bolt and the remainder of the way with the factory bolt.
Installed a new Gatorback POLY-V belt 6PK2195 (4606865) which is exactly 1.9" shorter than the factory belt.
There is quite a noticable difference in acceleration..... Time will tell if there is any increase in MPG.

OR 4x4

Old 12-25-2005
i did it and it was not fun my wrist looked like i had been slitting them

Old 12-25-2005
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had to call some connections to find a wrench that would fit. We then had the pound the hell out of it with really big hammer and it came right off.

Old 12-30-2005
When i rented the special too "for all ford trucks" there was about 9 wrenches
in there... none fit.. so i fixed one
:)

Old 12-31-2005
None of the rental wrenches would fit mine. I put vise grips on the pulley and rotated it till it was stopped. Then took a wrench (I think it was 7/8) and put it on the shaft. I had to hit it for all it was worth woth a hammer but finally it broke loose.

Old 01-03-2007
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Here is how you can hold the waterpump still without damaging it. Just take a 2" pipe (fence pipe is what I used), smash it flat, and drill / grind the end such that it fits over the hex clearing it. Then unbolt two of the pulley screws and bolt on the pipe. Now you have a huge lever that you can use to hold the pump still and NOT damage or scratch the pumps pulley.

Rich

Old 01-03-2007
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The autozone fan wrench worked perfect for me. No effort to remove the clutch at all.

I think mine must be the exception.