Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

t-bar crank: conflicting steps found

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
t-bar crank: conflicting steps found

Hey all,

i did a good amount of searching on the t-bar crank and I've read a couple conflicting steps.

First, some say to put the truck up on jackstands, which is also stated on the RPS how-to. http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...orsionBar.html

However, others are saying its better to leave your truck on the ground.

Secondly, I read someone saying that it's important to loosen the upper arm bushing bolts before adjusting the preload on the torsion bars. True? or BS?

I don't want to crank the t-bars any more than I have to, to be able to fit my 32's in without rubbing. How many turns or inches of lift do you recommend with the crank?

Old 07-20-2006
RF Veteran
Lift the truck, crank em evenly.

I have heard that myth about the upper arm bushings, but I think a few ppl busted it.

I got 20k miles on mine..3 of which on 33's...no probs yet

Old 07-20-2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i cranked mine and only put 3000 miles on the truck and my truck has been sitting in the dealership for a few days now with the front end taken apart....dont know what there replaceing yet but i bet i find out tomorow

Old 07-20-2006
Originally Posted by jrpro130
Lift the truck, crank em evenly.

I have heard that myth about the upper arm bushings, but I think a few ppl busted it.

I got 20k miles on mine..3 of which on 33's...no probs yet
how many turns or inches did you raise yours?

Old 07-20-2006
RF Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't think it matters much but the Ford factory service manual says to adjust the bars on the ground with the weight of the truck on them. The important thing is to get them even right to left.

There is much more bolt adjustment available on one side than the other, so don't just crank them both to the stops. 4~5 full turns on each side will probably buy you an inch without seriously affecting ride quality, tire wear or ball joint life.

As far as loosening the upper bushings, the Ford manual doesn't mention it and I can't see any benefit.

Old 07-20-2006
RF Veteran
I cranked mine about 4 turns both sides...I'm getting ready to crank em all the way (after my AAL install..it's haunting me, I swear)

So, I should get 2 more inches more of lift (in theory)

Old 07-21-2006
Originally Posted by rwenzing
I don't think it matters much but the Ford factory service manual says to adjust the bars on the ground with the weight of the truck on them. The important thing is to get them even right to left.

There is much more bolt adjustment available on one side than the other, so don't just crank them both to the stops. 4~5 full turns on each side will probably buy you an inch without seriously affecting ride quality, tire wear or ball joint life.

As far as loosening the upper bushings, the Ford manual doesn't mention it and I can't see any benefit.
Alright, guess I might just leave em down since the Ford manual says it. Not sure yet. Anyone else have opinions?

Bob, I thought I read in a way older post from you that cranking the t-bars doesn't actually affect rubbing clearance at all.

Old 07-21-2006
who?
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
crank them 4 turns one each side and you will be good to go.

that is how mine were forever. since maybe 10k and at 60k i cranked them but i lost track where they were from stock so idk how much they are cranked now.

jack the truck up and do it.

it really doesnt hurt anything to do it. and i will add some clearance.

i think you are thinking way too much into this procedure.

Old 07-21-2006
heh, probably. I usually do when it's gonna affect ride quality and performance.

Old 07-21-2006
I tried cranking mine again and those bolts wouldnt turn worth crap....i know they said they are hard to turn but i seriously thought i was going to break it....

Rocky

Old 07-21-2006
RF Veteran
Originally Posted by buzzair
Bob, I thought I read in a way older post from you that cranking the t-bars doesn't actually affect rubbing clearance at all.
It doesn't. It simply changes the static equilibrium point of the suspension within the available travel. The upper and lower limits are defined by the suspension stops which stay exactly the same regardless of the torsion bar adjustment.

When I said it would buy you an inch, I was talking about height, not clearance.

Old 07-21-2006
who?
but it should add more preload which will help keep the tire from smashing into the fender, but i doubt it will happen.

if you change the equlibrium isnt that inturn pushing the tire further away from the fender creating more visible clearance for normal road driving. sure the bumpstops are the same but its still less likly to hit the fender with the torsion bars cranked some.

Old 07-21-2006
RF Veteran
Originally Posted by zabeard
if you change the equlibrium isnt that inturn pushing the tire further away from the fender creating more visible clearance for normal road driving. sure the bumpstops are the same but its still less likly to hit the fender with the torsion bars cranked some.
Exactly. It can reduce the likelihood of rubbing under normal conditions but it does not change the possibility of rubbing under all conditions.

Old 07-21-2006
who?
ok cool, just clarifying for myself and others.

Old 07-21-2006
Ok great. Thanks for claifying.

I'm gonna crank em soon. My tires/wheels are arriving at any moment today.

Old 07-21-2006
I cranked mine without jackstands and without loosening the bolts and have had no problems. You should be fine either way.

Old 07-21-2006
post pics when youre done homie!

Old 07-21-2006
Originally Posted by winks
I cranked mine without jackstands and without loosening the bolts and have had no problems. You should be fine either way.
What do you mean loosening the bolts? I thought you crank in

Old 07-21-2006
Originally Posted by Kanoeking
post pics when youre done homie!
Pics won't be til Mon night since the only place around here that would even touch oversized tires and Mickey thompsons is booked up this weekend.

Old 07-21-2006
who?

yes righty tighty lefty loosey

in is more preload, twisting them out is less. you want to tighten the bolts.

Old 07-21-2006
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I just got my truck I didnt know much about torsion bars. I had no idea how to do it so I went to midas to have it done ( I hate midas and will never go there again ). After a few weeks I noticed massive amounts of tire wear on the inside of my tires. What can you do you fix the tire wear.

Since then I have had them taken back to stock height but people on here still do it all the time.

Old 07-21-2006
I meant loosening the bushing bolts you mentioned.

And yep you crank em in.

Old 07-21-2006
who?
Originally Posted by Lord Of War
When I just got my truck I didnt know much about torsion bars. I had no idea how to do it so I went to midas to have it done ( I hate midas and will never go there again ). After a few weeks I noticed massive amounts of tire wear on the inside of my tires. What can you do you fix the tire wear.

Since then I have had them taken back to stock height but people on here still do it all the time.

the nthey went too far and u need an alignement.

Old 07-21-2006
i didn't use a jack stand. Just cranked them, and I was good

Old 07-21-2006
Level III Supporter
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Lord Of War

by taken back to stock height do you mean the un-cranked the bolts cause you will want to get NEW t-bar bolt you never want to crank it in then move it back out. alot of guys had the problem of the bolt losening and falling out because the thread lock is now gone on that part

Quick Reply: t-bar crank: conflicting steps found