General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Running wires thru firewall

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006
FMD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Running wires thru firewall

I need a better way to do this, since i have all this free time, i been thinking - my current solution is not a long term solution. right now i have 13awg outdoor extension cable running thru a hole i put in my steering column boot to the switch for the KC's. my problem, well delima, i think over time that hole may actually cause the boot to tear, or split. from the viberation of the boot and the wire.

so i come to you, should I cut a dedicated hole in my firewall for new wires i put in, or is there another way that I am missing?

Old 08-27-2006
Level III Supporter
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
there is a plug underneath the brake booster its used for nothing use that everyone else does...i'll get a pic if i get time

The following users liked this post:
Tomar405 (10-17-2020)
Old 08-27-2006
RF Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
When I installed my alarm, I needed to add more wires and decided to tidy things up. I ran the wires through grommets installed in holes drilled through the firewall above the factory bulkhead connector. While I was at it, I added some extras holes/grommets for future mods in various sizes and plugged them temporarily with bolts.

You can see the grommets in this picture. To access this area for drilling, the electrical distribution box was temporarily unbolted and moved to the side.

Old 08-27-2006
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great idea bob

Old 08-27-2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i used an existing hole for my amplifier power cable. we had to ream it out a little but other than that it was straightforward

Old 08-27-2006
Originally Posted by rwenzing
When I installed my alarm, I needed to add more wires and decided to tidy things up. I ran the wires through grommets installed in holes drilled through the firewall above the factory bulkhead connector. While I was at it, I added some extras holes/grommets for future mods in various sizes and plugged them temporarily with bolts.

You can see the grommets in this picture. To access this area for drilling, the electrical distribution box was temporarily unbolted and moved to the side.

Dang...I need to get cracking on that...granted, I'll have to cut all my current wiring to pull it out of the way, then reconnect it, haha.

Old 08-27-2006

wow....should have thought of that one when i ran some wires

Old 01-03-2007
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i know this is an old post, but dang...i just saw it.....i will be doing this next week when i get my truck back......definately worth the time to disconnect things and put the back...definately will be easier to put wire loom around the wire also.....

i really wanted to make a post so i could find this again! lol///

Old 01-03-2007
I put two holes in the same area as Bob. Behind the underhood fuse box in my truck. There's a nice clean area with nothing on either side to worry about hitting with the drill.

Old 01-03-2007
RF Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's where I ran the 1/0 power wire for my system.

Old 01-03-2007
and that is were i will run the 4 gauge wire for my system, and the wires for my gauges, the wires for my strobes and so forth.....man i will be able to clean up my engine bay super now!

Old 01-03-2007
hey bob were did you get your grommets at?

Old 01-03-2007
RF Veteran
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
hey bob were did you get your grommets at?
I don't remember - they were in the parts bins in my garage. Try any Radio Shack, electronics store, hardware store, home center, etc.

Old 01-03-2007
RF Veteran
The radio shack and home depot I went to didn't have anything quite like that. Fortunately my amp kit came with the grommet for the 1/0 wire.

Old 01-03-2007
i can get a 4 gauge wire groment from Crutchfield, but i would also like another for the all the 16 gauge wires running through......

hummmmmm.....maybe i will get 2- 4 gauge gromments and then get 2- 8 gauge gromments that way i can run them all through 1 hole....

Old 01-03-2007
Do you have a West Marine or Boaters World near you? They typically stock a large size range of the grommets

Old 01-03-2007
nope......i live inland remember! lol....

i will look at O'Reilly tonight when i get home.....

Old 01-03-2007
did you have to take apart your dash Bob to get to the wires since that is high up in the dash?

Old 01-03-2007
Originally Posted by Redneckstone
there is a plug underneath the brake booster its used for nothing use that everyone else does...i'll get a pic if i get time
thats what I did with the wires for my subs I ran it through that hole. My friend wanted to do that in his 00 xl but I could not find the extra hole I have he does not have.

Old 01-03-2007
RF Veteran
did you have to take apart your dash Bob to get to the wires since that is high up in the dash?
No but the distribution box under the hood must be moved to the side to access the engine bay side of the firewall. I drilled those holes while I had the distribution box out to install my alarm siren.

Obviously, you need to take precautions to avoid drilling into anything under the dash, especially the harness on the other side of that bulkhead connector.

Old 01-03-2007
do you know which direction the harness goes under the dash by chance? does it go up or down?

Old 01-03-2007
RF Veteran
do you know which direction the harness goes under the dash by chance? does it go up or down?
Look under the dash to see where it is positioned in your truck. If necessary, you should have someone or something secure it out of the way for drilling.

Old 01-03-2007
alright thanks Bob!

Old 01-03-2007
RF Veteran
This is what i used, installed it this past weekend and I really like the outcome.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/STIPG12

Quick Reply: Running wires thru firewall