General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Loose gas pedal

Old 12-13-2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loose gas pedal

When my cruise is on and my foot is not on the gas pedal it vibrates, and it's annoying, is there a way to tighten it up? Oh, and is the whole pedal setup plastic?

Old 12-13-2006
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sambob117
When my cruise is on and my foot is not on the gas pedal it vibrates, and it's annoying, is there a way to tighten it up? Oh, and is the whole pedal setup plastic?

I HAD the same problem, but when I did the zip tie trick on the gas pedal it went away........... Crawl under there and take the slack out of the throttle cable, what I mean is pull out the extra because over time the cable will stretch, and wrap a few small zip ties around the cable, this will not only eliminate most of the vibration, you will get a heafty boost in throttle responce.

Old 12-14-2006
Do you mean make a loop in the cable and tie that?

Old 12-14-2006
RF Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No, he means the so-called throttle cable mod, which takes up some slack in the cable.

If the tension spring where the cable joins your pedal is not tight, put a nylon "zip tie" between the pedal arm and then end of the cable. It will take up some slack and possibly help.

DO NOT take up too much slack or you could snap the pedal when you mash down on it.

Old 12-15-2006
oh, ok

Old 01-26-2007
I was just told that the gas pedal vibrations I am getting are normal besides they couldnt hear it. And if there were a problem the computer would throw a code. AND in his 20+ years of service writing and warranty work he has never heard of a cable breaking let alone "STRETCHING". So there would be no parts just THROWN at my truck for the sake of a Warranty.

After showing my BUTT infront of all the people waiting for their cars to be returned to them after their service I finally got a tech to come for a ride. Not only did he hear it he said "the throttle cable must have some slack in it, that some times happens because these cables tend to strech". WOW thats some kind of insight considering CAPTAIN DORK THE SERVICE WRITER never heard of it.

After they replace it under warranty if it still happens I will do the T-Cable mod. Just like I did on my 93 ranger and 86 mustang when they werent under warranty.

This has become a (I cant think of the word/frase that goes here) but they ARE GOING TO CHANGE THE CABLE!!!!!

If it wernt under warranty they would have gladly CHARGED me for changing the cable. Imagine what they would do to people that dont know the diffrence between good noises and bad noises.

Old 01-26-2007
Biz
mine is loose to but then again im missing one bolt in my gas pedel =/

Old 01-28-2007
Mine also vibrates sometimes with the cruise on and my foot not on the pedal, I actually think it's normal. I've done the throttle cable mod but am going to check again for any more slack.