4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Truck running BAD help please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck running BAD help please.

Last night while drive my transmission starting shifting like it was possessed or something. After driving further I thought maybe this isn't a tranny problem I thought it could be the Throttle Position Sensor. Then my Check engine light came on. I checked the code and it is a code for a pedal position sensor. My question is what is this where is it and where do I get a new one?

Old 01-19-2007
RF Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's right on the throttle body, Bryan. On the one side, your throttle linkage connects to the throttle body, and on the opposite side the TPS is fastened on. I think it's just a couple of screws and a connector and it comes off.

Pull your battery for 20 minutes and let your PCM reset everything as it may have some bad data in the tables after running off kilter like that. You can leave it off while you replace the throttle position sensor, then connect it back up and you should be good to go.

Old 01-19-2007
so do I need a new TPS or can I just replace the PPS. And can I get a PPS at the auto parts store.

Old 01-19-2007
RF Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
What is the trouble code?

Old 01-19-2007
Bah I don't remember the exact I will go outside and get it give me 5 minutes and it will be posted.

Old 01-19-2007
Alright actually it has two codes. P1120 and P0122. I hope they are related because I don't want to have to fix two things today.

Old 01-19-2007
did a little reading seems I need to replace the TPS. Easy enough now I have to get a TPS some how this is the hard part. The truck shifts VERY VERY HARD. I have to drive it to get the part but I really don't want to.

Old 01-19-2007
RF Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
P1120 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Out of Range Low
P0122 - Throttle Position (TP) Circuit Low Input

This is either a bad TPS or a bad connection between the TPS and the PCM.

Old 01-19-2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check with your local NAPA store... they should have one in stock, If not they can get it either today or tomorrow.

Old 01-19-2007
RF Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The TPS is the electrical equivalent of the "kick down" cable of yore. It provides a signal to the system about throttle position so the transmission controls can figure out how to sequence the shifting.

In a failure, a default strategy is used which is reported to provide very hard shifts, so that sounds normal for the problem you're having.

TPS=PPS, by the way. There's only the one.

If it's the sensor and not a cable/connector problem, you can fix it in the parking lot of the store you buy it so you don't have to drive home that way.

Old 01-19-2007
Originally Posted by n3elz
The TPS is the electrical equivalent of the "kick down" cable of yore. It provides a signal to the system about throttle position so the transmission controls can figure out how to sequence the shifting.

In a failure, a default strategy is used which is reported to provide very hard shifts, so that sounds normal for the problem you're having.

TPS=PPS, by the way. There's only the one.

If it's the sensor and not a cable/connector problem, you can fix it in the parking lot of the store you buy it so you don't have to drive home that way.
Yeah I realized the hard shifts were a result of the TPS failure. Last night I was thinking that was the problem but was thrown off by the PPS description on my code reader. I missed the TPS it scrolled past that before I saw it and I didn't spend anytime looking at it. I noticed it this morning when I went out to get the codes as per Bobs request.

I replaced the TPS in the parking lot of NAPA. It is nice to fix such a horrible problem with a Philips screw driver and it only taking 5 minutes. I mean the way the tranny was shifting I was thinking I might end up on the side of the road last night. So you would think such a terrible feeling would be a hard fix. But no changing a TPS is easier than doing an oil change.

Old 01-19-2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and just think, if you would have brought it into the shop you would have been charged for .6 hours of labor :) Good work, Glad NAPA had the stuff.

Old 01-20-2007
Originally Posted by WholesaleMN.com
and just think, if you would have brought it into the shop you would have been charged for .6 hours of labor :) Good work, Glad NAPA had the stuff.

Oh yeah I only go to the shop if it is a last resort and it is something that is not time effective for me to fix.

I really cannot think of anything that would result with me taking my truck to the mechanic.