Interior Semi-Tech General discussion of interior for the Ford Ranger.

wal-mart window tint

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wal-mart window tint

just wanted to know if anyone has used wal-mart window tint lol? and if so what % was it? possible pictures would be great to. for right now i just want to use it on my 3 back windows and my 2 xtended cab windows. with the laws up my way i can only do so much on the 2 front ones and i dont need to be pulled over. (had license almost half a year so fairly new) How hard is it to install this? i have no prior experience with this type of stuff so any tips or tricks for the tint to come out the best way would be great. I almost forgot to ask, how do you even put the tint on ? does it go inside the truck or out ? id think in but... anyways thanks for the help.

Old 01-31-2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had wal-mart limo (forgot what percent) on my ranger when I owned it on the back two extended cab windows, had no problem with them fading or anything. Never got pulled over even though it was like 2 1/2% tint. So i give a thumbs up to the wal-mart window tint

Old 01-31-2007
hey tremorjon, how difficult was it putting it on ? and also what are some tips i could use?

Old 01-31-2007
I have used Walmart tint on about 10 different vehicles I have done. No problems what so ever. None have faded, none turned purple etc... one vehicle has had it on since 2000. I even have it on my Ranger's back three.

Old 01-31-2007
put on a buddy of mines 87 caprice classic..lol...but ya it worked fine sept you better have a lot of patience's cause its long and boring and sometimes doesnt cooperate...i would say get it done professionally but hey you gotta do what you gotta do

Old 01-31-2007
it goes on the inside...and get a sqeedgy (sp?)

Old 01-31-2007
Do it yourself tint is pretty easy....ive done it myself on the back windows but i took it off before the glue stuff set ...

Just make sure you get all of the bubbles out...

I didnt have anything to get the bubbles out so i used a credit card wrapped in a paper towel.....got all of the bubbles out, and used a hair dryer to dry the window cleaner i sprayed on..

Rocky

Old 01-31-2007
What ever you do, do NOT use any ammonia based product on the windows right before or anytime after you put it on. Ammonia has been proven to turn tint colors and fade it. Use soapy water to clean the inside of your windows from now on. I don't care what anyone tells you about this subject, ammonia WILL mess up tint!

Old 01-31-2007
RF Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^truth...

im sure the tint isnt of poor quality its just the installer... its almost worth it to me to pay the 100$ for it to be installed becasue i have no patients

Old 01-31-2007
Spray some soapy water on the window and on the tint. Cut it close to match the window. Then squeegie(sp) it out in all directions to make sure there is no bubbles. Its not that hard.

Old 01-31-2007
The hardest part is cutting it to match the window.........at least it was for me.......I dont know how much time I spent trying to get the tint to fit the window. I did it on my last truck and it took for ever to do the back glass because it had to be exact, or it would show. I just took my ranger to have it done proffesionally, I didn't want to mess with that stuff again......I have a good bit of patients for most stuff, but what a pain.

Old 01-31-2007
Why don't you make a cardboard template of the window first and then cut the tint accordingly? Wouldn't that be easier? I've never put on tint but I'd like to soon. Just a thought.

Old 01-31-2007
Originally Posted by 0RangerEdge2
Why don't you make a cardboard template of the window first and then cut the tint accordingly? Wouldn't that be easier? I've never put on tint but I'd like to soon. Just a thought.
Even that was freakin hard to do. lol

Old 01-31-2007
startin to make me want to try it now lol...shouldnt be to bad.

Old 01-31-2007
lol.. some one make a "how to" put on wal-mart window tint

Old 02-01-2007
lol that would be a good how to, but cool thanks guys, but i have a question since im probably only going to do my back windows and the 2 little extended cab windows wil it be hard ? im going to just say that i dont have a great deal of patients lol i mean ford stickers gave me a rough time the first time i did it but now i know how to and its easy. and what can i use for a squeegy? and i heard people use a lighter ?? any additional information would be great! im going to go pick some up saturday after my exhaust is installed, shall be a good day! thanks again everyone!

Old 02-01-2007
A credit card should work, but make sure to rap it in a lint free cloth so it doesn't scratch the tint up.

Old 02-01-2007
spend the money and get it done by a pro.......trust me....a lifetime warrantee is GREAT!!!!!!

Rocky

Old 02-01-2007
yea but im going to be practically broke after this saturday (exhaust).. they sell 2% i think at wal-mart which seems really dark which i like for the back ones. and whats usually the law for the front windows?

Old 02-01-2007
Level III Supporter
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i have had walmart tint on my truck for 3 years now just remember to get the anti scratch kind thats all

Old 02-01-2007
hey Zach, how difficult was the back window , do you have a slider window? i would think the 2 little ones in the x-cab should be kind of simple.

Old 02-01-2007
I bought some and thought it would be the cheap and easy way to put it on but in the end it turned out to be the biggest hassle I have ever delt with for some reason Ford has that plastic piece that makes it hard to get to the window. If anything remove the entire door panel and good luck.

Old 02-01-2007
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol i put on alot of walmart tint...2 of my own cars to include them, a neon and a mazda rx7...it is thin and is a hassle the first time...but its simple looks good, and lasts a long time...jus get the kind thats like 15 bucks a roll and have fun

Old 02-01-2007
i bought the expensive kind at pep boys.. didnt want to take any chances.. which i think most people can agree with me on that one.. its the one with the clear film and you pull it off and its already sticky.. instead of having to literally slap some glue on your window.. im gonna do the fronts at 20% when it gets freakin warm enough.. i just walk right inside right now.. to wet and to freakin cold

Quick Reply: wal-mart window tint