Interior Semi-Tech General discussion of interior for the Ford Ranger.

The sleeping platform is coming along

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sleeping platform is coming along

If you all don't mind I'll be posting pictures as I work on my sleeping platform I'm building in my bed. If you all have any questions/comments please let me know.

My main idea is to have two "benches" on both sides over the wheel wells which will act as the base to my sleeping platform. This will also enable me to have some storage space for my tools etc. Then between the benches I'll put in a center panel which will bridge the gap completing the platform.

My reasoning for doing this is that I absolutely love being in the outdoors but there are a few things I hate.
- setting up a tent
- not getting a good night's sleep
Also my wife and I frequent black bear/moose country and the fiberglass shell gives us a little more insurance.

Here's the progress so far.

Below is an overall picture of the underframing. You can see the rough shape of the "benches" which will go over the wheel wells.

If you didn't notice in the first picture I am using TJI's for the underframing. This gives great structural support, resistance to warping, and will also box in nicely the storage spaces in front and behind the wheel wells.

And lastly with the TJI's I'm able to scribe the exact contour of the sides of the bed for the cross supports.

I hope everyone enjoys and I'll have more pics to come.

Last edited by Murph; 11-13-2008 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Dead Picture Links
Old 02-09-2007
looks awesome! keep pictures updated

Old 02-09-2007
Yea that's a really good idea. I'd like to check it out when it's finished. Won't have to worry about wind blowing over your tent either......while you're in it....but that's another story lol

Old 02-09-2007
nice, someone just posted the link to the first time i saw that and thought it was amazing. good luck, take lots of pics, and bigger if you could.

Old 02-09-2007
Originally Posted by Bumpncarstereo
nice, someone just posted the link to the first time i saw that and thought it was amazing. good luck, take lots of pics, and bigger if you could.

I'll be happy to get some bigger - more detailed pics up over the weekend. I'm planning on getting out my digital camera and taking some detailed shots.

Old 02-09-2007
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that is coming along nicely! i really like the idea.....if i had a topper i would do that!

that is a realy good idea to use the TJ I joist....they are super strong and will last...

Old 02-09-2007
very nice start. I wish it was a little warmer here so I could start on mine.

Old 02-26-2007
what are TJI joists? i just found out that my wifes uncle has a topper from his ranger that he will give to me, so i have a month to build this.

Old 02-26-2007
nice start
consider making doors at the tail gate entrance also
this way you can slide things in and out without removing your bedding or climbing into the bed
finding tubs that fit into the spaces in the platform also help with storage and makes loading/unloading your gear easier

Old 02-26-2007
TJ is a brand of "I" joist.....they are sold at lumber companies.....they are used for floor joist in wood frame buildings...

Old 02-26-2007
wow looking good man....

Old 02-28-2007
so murph, any updates?

Old 02-28-2007
http://www.bajataco.com/Camper1.html

check this out ... I'm going to do my carpet kit similar to this but the frame will be 1 1/2 square aluminum tubeing for weight.

Old 02-28-2007
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wouldnt it be easier just to fill an inflatable mattress back there

Old 02-28-2007
RF Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lookin good!

Old 02-28-2007
That is very cool! Hardly any setting up time means you can keep traveling and camp at different locations without much of a hassle. Won't have to worry about rain either. I remember one time I was camping and it rained hard all night and when I woke up there was two inches of water in my tent. Good thing was, at that time I was sleeping on an air mattress so I wasn't affected. My friends were a bit more wet on their foam pads lol.

Old 02-28-2007
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool. keep us updated with progress pics. i cant wait till winter is over for camping. my plan though is just to throw my old futon mattress in the back.

Old 03-06-2007
what are you using for a mattress?

Old 03-06-2007
Cool idea, looks good

Old 04-25-2007
I know I'm really slow!!

Ok all,

I know I've been really slow about getting this platform built but My last final is on Tuesday of this week and then I'll be crankin this thing out so that I can finish it before I go camping.

I have made a little progress since I've posted pictures last but I'm mainly posting pictures again because some of you were kind enough to request more detailed photos. I plan on working on this on the first weekend of May and I'll have more photos for you then.

My plans are to have storage in front, around, and in back of the wheel wells as well as more storage at the foot of the bed for putting in random stuff. All the storage cubbies will be covered with Hinged 3/4 inch plywood which will be painted and carpeted. The middle area will be covered with 1" Plywood which is enveloped in stainless steel to keep the middle section from sagging which will also be carpeted. The plywood with stainless steel is usually used to make semi trailer doors.

I promise to be better at keeping you all updated.

Last edited by Murph; 11-13-2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Dead Links to pictures
Old 04-25-2007
I looks great and is a great idea. I was thinking about doing the same thing with a pickup bed trailer. put a slight lift under it to match up to my truck when its done, and then it will go anywhere I can lol. But great idea and keep up the good work!!

Old 04-25-2007
looks good! what are you going to do with all the area under the bed? or did i miss that?

Old 04-25-2007
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
looks good! what are you going to do with all the area under the bed? or did i miss that?

Well the idea is to have storage underneath of all of it. Around the wheel wells as you can see will be storage for smaller stuff. Then I plan to create a larger storage area (kind of like a built in foot locker) at the foot of the bed. Then the remaining space (in the middle above the foot locker) will fit my camp shower perfectly along with a couple of other things. This will all make sense after I am able do a little more work next weekend.

Old 04-25-2007
sweet!

Quick Reply: The sleeping platform is coming along