2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech General discussion of 2.9L and 3.0L V6 Ford Ranger engines.

U/D pulley installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
U/D pulley installed

I put my Underdog crank pulley on tonight. Here is a piece of cake because that's how easy it is. If you put it on yourself go to Wayne's site and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS exactly like he says. I think Ford did me a favor and didn't tighten the four bolts down real tight because I had no problem at all taking them off. I did the install by myself in an hour and a half. I haven't driven it much but it seems to accelerate much quicker. I'm not going to get into a butt dyno on it because a quick search will tell you all that. Wayne is a pro because I screwed up my order and he fixed it no problem. One more mod down and only a tuner to go.

Old 06-24-2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome! I called up a mechanic to get a quote and he quoted me $150 to install the pulley! I'll figure a way out to get some free help.

Old 06-25-2007
Z06
Originally Posted by vindex1963
I put my Underdog crank pulley on tonight. Here is a piece of cake because that's how easy it is. If you put it on yourself go to Wayne's site and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS exactly like he says. I think Ford did me a favor and didn't tighten the four bolts down real tight because I had no problem at all taking them off. I did the install by myself in an hour and a half. I haven't driven it much but it seems to accelerate much quicker. I'm not going to get into a butt dyno on it because a quick search will tell you all that. Wayne is a pro because I screwed up my order and he fixed it no problem. One more mod down and only a tuner to go.

Is Wayne's site Underdog? Wanting to do same mod, just dreading the install with the close clearance - want to do a e-fan at the same time. Then tune and finished with the truck.

Old 06-25-2007
Yes it is.
http://www.stuffforyourranger.com/st...cec5d654721e38

Using the deep socket and the 3/8 adapter the tight clearance isn't a problem at all. The biggest problem I had was putting on the belt and that was no problem at all.

Old 06-25-2007
real easy to install one and easier if you have a friend help

Old 06-25-2007
Originally Posted by Z06
Is Wayne's site Underdog? Wanting to do same mod, just dreading the install with the close clearance - want to do a e-fan at the same time. Then tune and finished with the truck.
Its much easier to install the pulley with the stock fan off. You gain A LOT of working room.

Removing the fan is a 10 minute deal with the proper tools, usually available as a free loaner from autozone.

Old 06-25-2007
Z06
Originally Posted by vindex1963
Yes it is.
http://www.stuffforyourranger.com/st...cec5d654721e38

Using the deep socket and the 3/8 adapter the tight clearance isn't a problem at all. The biggest problem I had was putting on the belt and that was no problem at all.
Thanks all. Will be doing this, maybe all of it together - fan, pulley, and tune in a month or so, got to get some funds together....

Old 06-27-2007
so i dont need the combo kit? just the crank pulley? what does the combo kit got that the crank pulleys dont?

Old 06-27-2007
Originally Posted by txboy11
so i dont need the combo kit? just the crank pulley? what does the combo kit got that the crank pulleys dont?
I think the combo kit just lightens things up. Less for the motor to spin makes it rev faster. I haven't had a chance to really test the new pulley but I know here with 110+ temps there is ZERO extra engine heat. The gage is exactly where it was and that's with the AC blasting and the stop and go Phoenix rush hour traffic. I have noticed the AC doesn't pull the motor down nearly as much as it did. I'm looking forward to driving through the mountain grades just to see how it does. So far I'm very happy.
I'm still tossing around the idea of a 180* T-Stat.

Old 06-27-2007
Z06
Originally Posted by graniteguy
Its much easier to install the pulley with the stock fan off. You gain A LOT of working room.

Removing the fan is a 10 minute deal with the proper tools, usually available as a free loaner from autozone.
What kind of tool is the free loaner, what is it called? Is it generic or just for the Ford Ranger? Thanks,

Old 06-27-2007
Ford Fan Removal Tool. Look at the third picture (drawing). This is a 4.0 engine so don't use it to see how to install the 3.0 pulley. It should clarify how the tool works on fan though.

http://stuffforyourranger.com/How_To...nderdrive.html

Old 06-27-2007
Originally Posted by txboy11

It will retain the factory charging of the alternator. The extra HP that it takes to speed the alt back up "should" be negated by the lower rotating mass of both the alt and water pump pulley. I think the water pump pulley is 17 ounces lighter than stock. I need to go back and double check my numbers, but that sounds tight. Plus they look pretty.

You should be fine getting just the crank. It was dyno'd at 8hp and 11 torque without the other pulleys. Some guys get a slight dimming of the headlights at idle only. Once you are at 900 rpm any dimming goes away. I would almost guess that the dimming comes from automatics. Don't they idle lower than manuals?

I got the alt pulley because people asked for them. That led to the water pump pulley. That has done well and people are asking for more red and blue to finish off the set. Red/Blue idler and tensioner pulleys are currently being produced.

Old 06-28-2007
Z06
Ford Fan Removal Tool. Look at the third picture (drawing). This is a 4.0 engine so don't use it to see how to install the 3.0 pulley. It should clarify how the tool works on fan though.

http://stuffforyourranger.com/How_To...nderdrive.html
Dumb here, so the tool allows you to hold the assembly to keep it from rotating while you loosen it? The fan assembly comes off as a unit, including the shaft piece behind the clutch and fan? Again, thanks for the assistance. Will be ordering from you soon, out of town this weekend and busy at work. Got to sit down and order!

Old 06-28-2007
yes. All it does is keep the fan shaft some free spinning so you can remove the fan with a wrench on the shaft. The tool comes with the wrench for the shaft but it may be the wrong size. The large wrench that keeps it from spinning is the important one.

A couple of tidbits for 3.0's. The water pump pulley bolts are recessed so the wrench won't slip over it. You have to remove the pulley bolts or at least loosen them, then slip that large wrench behind the pulley to grab onto the bolts.

The other thing is the shaft is threaded backwards. You spin it clockwise to remove it.

Old 06-28-2007
Z06
yes. All it does is keep the fan shaft some free spinning so you can remove the fan with a wrench on the shaft. The tool comes with the wrench for the shaft but it may be the wrong size. The large wrench that keeps it from spinning is the important one.

A couple of tidbits for 3.0's. The water pump pulley bolts are recessed so the wrench won't slip over it. You have to remove the pulley bolts or at least loosen them, then slip that large wrench behind the pulley to grab onto the bolts.

The other thing is the shaft is threaded backwards. You spin it clockwise to remove it.
Thanks for the info, you will have my order soon. Getting a e-fan and want to do it, the pulley, and the tune at the same time. Just saving up some dough.
So the shaft comes off clockwise, good deal.

Old 07-05-2007
Been a few weeks with the U/D pulley. I'm getting just under 24 MPG mixed city/highway. I noticed on the first tank the gage seemed to go down pretty slow. The power is there, not huge but it's noticeable. 5th gear acceleration is much better.

Old 07-05-2007
Z06
Sounds good, I ordered mine from Underdog last night - crank pulley and a gatorback. Looking forward to an increase in mpg. Mine is an automatic, though it gets good mileage. I don't need the truck for performance, got a couple of things to drive when I want to go fast. Funny thing is they also get better mpg!
Have you gone to the Bama tune yet? Or the E fan? Saving some money up, planning on both, will probably do the fan and pulley at the same time.

Old 07-05-2007
Bama or UnderDog....not sure yet. Wayne at UnderDog has them on sale and he is good to work with.

Old 07-05-2007
Z06
Under-Dog Performance - I just ordered a pulley and fan belt. How long is the Bama tune on sale? I sent a check, if I send one for the Bama, will you ship them all together and save me some shipping costs? Please send me an e-mail - torch@gforcecable.com
I planned on ordering, if I can save more on shipping + sale price, guess its a good time. I will wait for an e-mail from you.

Thanks, Bob

Old 07-05-2007
Underdog has the tuner on sale not bama

Old 07-06-2007
Z06
Just ordered the X II from Wayne. Great price, so went ahead and ordered. Looking forward to getting both items installed. Sounds like the X II is just a matter of hooking to the truck computer and following the directions on the screen, correct? Download the tune you want and then drive the truck.

Old 07-06-2007
That's pretty much it. About 15 minutes. If you go with larger tires down the road, you can change the odometer by yourself. You can also change rev limit, top speed, and idle rpm on your own. It's pretty simple when you start playing with it.

Old 07-06-2007
Z06
That's pretty much it. About 15 minutes. If you go with larger tires down the road, you can change the odometer by yourself. You can also change rev limit, top speed, and idle rpm on your own. It's pretty simple when you start playing with it.
Thanks Wayne - I ordered the X II and put my VIN# of the truck instead of the correct one. I sent you a pm with the correct # after you told me the location of it.

Old 07-23-2007
Z06
Icon10

I agree, following instructions, piece of cake. Hardest part? Figuring out diagram to put the belt back on correctly! Mine is on now, drives great, waiting on the Underdog-Rogue tune to arrive and think I will leave her alone and drive past the gas stations more often without stopping! Heck, by 100,000 miles I should have broken even on my gas savings devices with all the fuel I have saved! Then I can start reaping the rewards!