General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Starting a CAI

Old 11-27-2007
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Starting a CAI project

Web Page

Well I've started a process to make a CAI setup thats above and beyond the norm. A few weeks ago I made a make shift box out of some foam board just to see if it was worth the effort. Supprisingly it was! (see the power graph at the top of my web page) OK.. so now since it's into the damp weather season here in Mich. I've made a clear box so I can readily see just what's happening with the rain, snow, and road debris. Once I figure out what effect what with water & dirt infiltration, I'm hoping to end up with a real "end all" ram air CAI. I'll give updates as I learn more.

Regards, Rich

Old 11-27-2007
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will be following this closely, I have often thought about a true fender well CAI, but it was never more then a thought...

Old 11-27-2007
Level I Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never seen TQ (I'm assuming this is torque?) graphed vs time before from a dyno, normally, it's Tq (and/or HP) graphed vs RPM.
How is it that TQ was close to it's peak before WOT?

If these results were truly from a dyno, why can't you show the dyno graph?

And, just incase you didn't know it, Ford's OEM intake/filter box is a CAI!

Last edited by Takeda; 11-27-2007 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-27-2007
Ayers, he has posted his methods for determining the gains. I would think it repetitive on his part to add that paragraph to each thread he starts.

Old 11-27-2007
Rich, here is a quick vid I made. I'm pouring water on my filter with the truck started:

http://stuffforyourranger.com/galler...c9bb09995429f8

I was selling them, but there ended up being too many sizes to keep up with. You can get it from www.outerwears.com. If you go with another brand, make sure it has the water repellant added to it. The repellant does not last forever.

What impressed me the most was breathability. After installing the sleeve, it was a little loose. After revving the engine to the max I was expecting it to suck down onto the filter. It never did.

Old 11-27-2007
Bob, There is no such thing as "HP" and this graph is a data log of "Calculated TQ into torque convertor".

It's a **better and more accurate** number than sitting on a dyno. It's real world information. Not simulated data like a dynojet would give. And even the mustang dynos are not as good actually taking measurements on the road.
On a dyno your not going to get the air flow through the engine room like you would as the truck accelerates from 0-70-ish mph.

Now.. I do wish that I could directly take data and compare RPMs vs TQ. I can do that for one graph at a time. But since data is taken on a time basis it's nearly impossible to compair to different graphs in a accurate way. Even in the graph on my web page has some amount of error. Just in the fact that the time stamps are not identical. If the power differences were only 1-2ft lbs of torque then I'd discount the whole thing as being a wash. But since I CLEARLY see a 10+ gain at first WOT I consider it good enough.

As far as WOT vs part throttle TQ. Its up there because I did'nt stomp the throttle. The spot where I taken this info is often sandy/dirty. If I stomped the tires might spin which would throw off the numbers.

Rich

Old 11-27-2007
Yeah I have an outerwears on the Lightning. Been meaning to put one on the ranger. Just been lazy about ordering one.

What I'm thinking is going to be needed is a vacuum operated ram air door. There is no need to pump in debris and water 99% of the time.

Rich

Old 11-27-2007
Level I Supporter
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
Bob, There is no such thing as "HP" and this graph is a data log of "Calculated TQ into torque convertor".

It's a **better and more accurate** number than sitting on a dyno. It's real world information. Not simulated data like a dynojet would give. And even the mustang dynos are not as good actually taking measurements on the road.
On a dyno your not going to get the air flow through the engine room like you would as the truck accelerates from 0-70-ish mph.

Now.. I do wish that I could directly take data and compare RPMs vs TQ. I can do that for one graph at a time. But since data is taken on a time basis it's nearly impossible to compair to different graphs in a accurate way. Even in the graph on my web page has some amount of error. Just in the fact that the time stamps are not identical. If the power differences were only 1-2ft lbs of torque then I'd discount the whole thing as being a wash. But since I CLEARLY see a 10+ gain at first WOT I consider it good enough.

As far as WOT vs part throttle TQ. Its up there because I did'nt stomp the throttle. The spot where I taken this info is often sandy/dirty. If I stomped the tires might spin which would throw off the numbers.

Rich

No such thing as HP???? Where are you coming from???

This is total BS!!!

Old 11-27-2007
Originally Posted by Takeda
No such thing as HP???? Where are you coming from???

This is total BS!!!
LOL.. Would you care to explain how one would measure "horse power"?

James Watt is the guy who "invented it"
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/horsepower.htm

Rich

Old 11-27-2007
Level I Supporter
LOL.. Would you care to explain how one would measure "horse power"?

James Watt is the guy who "invented it"
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/horsepower.htm

Rich
First you say there is no such thing as HP (horsepower), then you ask how you measure it, and then you give a reference to the guy who invented it!!

Sounds like you just learned what HP is!!!

And a dyno is used to measure it (AND TORQUE)!!!

http://www.howstuffworks.com/horsepower1.htm

Old 11-27-2007
First you say there is no such thing as HP (horsepower), then you ask how you measure it, and then you give a reference to the guy who invented it!!

Sounds like you just learned what HP is!!!

And a dyno is used to measure it (AND TORQUE)!!!

http://www.howstuffworks.com/horsepower1.htm
Bob, You can't measure something that is not there. Horsepower is a mathmatical calculation for people who can't understand the force of twist. Poeple in times of old wanted to understand how much work a engine could do. But they did'nt have the education or understanding of what "power" was. So Mr Watt came up with a mathmatical calculation to relate the twist of a motor to how much work a horse could do.

You can't measure "HP" on a dyno because there is no horse on it. You can measure the TQ of a motor / dyno and then using *math* you can derive a number than represents how many horses **are under the hood** so to speak.

Here is an analogy.. it's like Tempature. There is heat. Period. There is no such thing as cold. Cold is relative. I get "cold" at about 35F But my lovely wife gets "cold" at 79F. It's all realative to what one person "feels" and what someone else "feels".
And because most people can't accept this basic of science,folks have come up with realative terms like the freezing point and boiling point of water. 0deg C = water freeze. 100deg C = water boiling.

Mankind is finite. We don't readily accept facts. We tend to look through our preconcieved notions at the facts and then try to make them fit *our viewpoint*. Instead.. objective minded people look at the facts and then draw conclusions.

Regards,
Rich

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 11-27-2007 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-27-2007
HP Formula

(Torque x Engine speed) / 5,252 = Horsepower

Old 11-27-2007
Level I Supporter
Bob, You can't measure something that is not there. Horsepower is a mathmatical calculation for people who can't understand the force of twist. Poeple in times of old wanted to understand how much work a engine could do. But they did'nt have the education or understanding of what "power" was. So Mr Watt came up with a mathmatical calculation to relate the twist of a motor to how much work a horse could do.

You can't measure "HP" on a dyno because there is no horse on it. You can measure the TQ of a motor / dyno and then using *math* you can derive a number than represents how many horses **are under the hood** so to speak.

Here is an analogy.. it's like Tempature. There is heat. Period. There is no such thing as cold. Cold is relative. I get "cold" at about 35F But wife gets "cold" at 79F. It's realative!!
And because most people can't accept this basic of science,folks have come up with realative terms like the freezing point and boiling point of water. 0deg C = water freeze. 100deg C = water boiling.

Mankind is finite. We don't readily accept facts. We tend to look through our preconcieved notions at the facts and then try to make them fit *our viewpoint*. Instead.. objective minded people look at the facts and then draw conclusions.

Regards,
Rich

Try telling your total BS to these folks:

http://www.clarktesting.com/

You aren't worth wasting any more time on!!!

Old 11-27-2007
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Subscribed. I'm interested to see how it works out with the different conditions.

Old 11-27-2007
Level I Supporter
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE
wow bobbie looks like you got called out!
time to wave the white flag

thime to

seems you need to use other people to base your so-called facts on. Rich knows what he is talking about!
Rich is about as knowledgeable as you are on Vulcan V-6 engines!!!!

It takes somebody with your IQ to believe Rich!!!!

Old 11-27-2007
I have said it before, Bob is the new Quest...

Old 11-27-2007
I made my own CAI and was badgered by Bob also. BBB=Badgered By Bob...... he was quiet for a while but now is back again. He's running out of forums, I think this is the last one.

Have you looked at my CAI?
http://www.freewebs.com/arizonarider...madeintake.htm

I like these home built set ups, says something about the person that wants to do it themselves.
Hope it works out for you.

Old 11-27-2007
Oh... I like Bob's input. Personally I'd like see some of the cars in his sig! I'm a car nut. Always have been. Maybe that's why I became a automotive OEM engineer.

You know.. a CAI kit is really a waste of time in the grand scheme of things. I just like the science behind it all. To me working, testing, and building stuff like this is just plain fun. Some guys watch the boob-tube. Some play git-tar. Some argue on the internet.. but the good guys are in the garage.

Rich

Old 11-27-2007
^^Nicely put Rich...

Old 11-27-2007
Level I Supporter
Oh... I like Bob's input. Personally I'd like see some of the cars in his sig! I'm a car nut. Always have been. Maybe that's why I became a automotive OEM engineer.

You know.. a CAI kit is really a waste of time in the grand scheme of things. I just like the science behind it all. To me working, testing, and building stuff like this is just plain fun. Some guys watch the boob-tube. Some play git-tar. Some argue on the internet.. but the good guys are in the garage.

Rich

Thanks Rich! I hope I didn't offend you in any way, but I'm also an engineer, and my pet peeve is SCAMS!! There are so many out there, and young people that don't understand basic mechanical & physical principles fall for these aftermarket company's BS! I'm trying to protect these youngsters from throwing their money away!!

I have an electronics shop that I enjoy as a hobby, and I enjoy photography as a hobby....

Here are some photo links to a couple of my cars, both are original, and never been restored in any way:

http://www.bob-ayers.smugmug.com/gal...4137#124353430

http://www.bob-ayers.smugmug.com/gal...83593#55357242

Old 11-27-2007
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Try telling your total BS to these folks:

http://www.clarktesting.com/

You aren't worth wasting any more time on!!!
hmmmmmm He is right Bob........crap they taught us that in my Statics class........horse power (which is 2 words by the way, not one) is a mathmatical formula.....they only TRUE dyno'd part of the formula is torque & engine speed...
Originally Posted by greygooseranger
I have said it before, Bob is the new Quest...

BTW: nice findings Rich......keep us updated...

Last edited by lifted97ranger; 11-27-2007 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-27-2007
Oh not too many people offend me personally. I do get perturbed at times by folks who won't listen to reason about the really important things in life. After all the greatest command is to Love one another.

Nice cars! I've poked around your sight looking at the pics. Very very sharp quality IMO.

I guess a better analogy given your background would have been Light. There is no "dark". Just some measure of light. You can't measure darkness. "Darkness" is realitive to what your talking about. Just as "HP" is a realative term and actually a convoluted way of describing torque.

Regards,
Rich

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting a CAI