General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tow straps (Please read)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow straps (Please read)

With the thread started a couple of days ago about pulling people out of the snow and the questions about which strap to buy i figured I would post this.

When reading a post on another forum about tow straps the other day someone posted a interesting article. The article shows why you don't use a clevis to attach to tow straps together. I also found a site that explains how you should connect them if needed.

Remember never use a tow strap that has built in hooks at the ends as they can become a nice projectiles.
Name:  towstraphooks.jpg
Views: 2997
Size:  25.0 KB

Always use a tow strap or rope with woven loops at each end and properly rated. Also make sure that you use a secure place to mount the strap or rope to both vehicles.
Tow strap:
Name:  Teraflex_TowStrap.jpg
Views: 2725
Size:  5.7 KB

tow rope:
Name:  ccc8_1.jpg
Views: 2858
Size:  26.4 KB

The is the article about what to do:
http://offroadrecovery.zoovy.com/cat...recoverybasics

This is the article about what not to do:
http://www.southernhighrollers.com/t..._miss_from.htm

Be Safe

Chad

Last edited by casfz1; 12-06-2007 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-06-2007
RF Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so if you dont use a Clevis how are you supposed to do it? i have hooks on the front, and loops out back i feed it through both and rin it through itself, but on other peoples cars/trucks that dont have hooks what do u do?

Old 12-06-2007
Level III Supporter
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Great posting Chad! also when winching or snatching. put a towel or jacket over the line if you can that way it might defuse the line if it brakes...

also all you guys with winches INVEST in this! it might save your life...

http://www.winchsaver.com/

Old 12-06-2007
Level III Supporter
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4
so if you dont use a Clevis how are you supposed to do it? i have hooks on the front, and loops out back i feed it through both and rin it through itself, but on other peoples cars/trucks that dont have hooks what do u do?
if you have to use a clevis which i have had too some times.. make sure it is HIGH rated.. ALSO wrap towels around the strap/clevis... please...

Old 12-06-2007
I personally have a strap with hooks on the ends, BUT i always have a full sized towel i keep in the rear storage bin things that i hang in the middle while making a recovery. Tho i do agree with the articles, but for the people who don’t have a shackle or easy way other then hooks, its a acceptable 2nd choice.

Old 12-06-2007
Matt- using a clevis to attach a strap to a vehicle is fine, it is when you place the clevis inbetween 2 straps to connect them then it makes a dangerous situation.

Old 12-06-2007
Level III Supporter
Old 12-06-2007
Level III Supporter
Originally Posted by Mr. Special
I personally have a strap with hooks on the ends, BUT i always have a full sized towel i keep in the rear storage bin things that i hang in the middle while making a recovery. Tho i do agree with the articles, but for the people who don’t have a shackle or easy way other then hooks, its a acceptable 2nd choice.
NO it is not.. ever look at the load rating for those straps its usually horrible.. do yourself a favor and step up to a better strap.. best money i spent was on a 30,000lb one and personally i dont think its enough...

dont need you or anyone else here dead ok Sean.?

Last edited by Redneckstone; 12-06-2007 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-06-2007
RF Veteran
Originally Posted by casfz1
Matt- using a clevis to attach a strap to a vehicle is fine, it is when you place the clevis inbetween 2 straps to connect them then it makes a dangerous situation.
ah, gotch you gotta make that clear

and i'll say it again.. PUT A TOWEL OR JACKET OR SOMETHING LIKE IT OVER A LOADED WINCH LINE!!!!!

at first i was like, how would that help? then i saw it in person and it really does just drop dead when it snaps.

i have a towel and spare floor mat in my tool box just for that reason, well the towel has also serves as a rag

Old 12-06-2007
RF Veteran
speaking of which, the best day of the year is rollin around and im looking to upgrade my $25 walmart strap

Old 12-06-2007
Originally Posted by Redneckstone
NO it is not.. ever look at the load rating for those straps its usually horrible.. do yourself a favor and set up to a better strap.. best money i spent was on a 30,000lb one and personally i dont think its enough...
Zack some people just don't understand that those straps are not ment for vehicle recovery they are ment for towing a vehicle on flat ground.

Also a 30,000 lb strap is more then enough for our truck. You want the strap to be able to stretch.

Old 12-06-2007
Level III Supporter
Old 12-06-2007
For the winch line I like what Zack posted or a heavy duty bag loaded with weights placed over it. I have used a floor mate a time or 2 though.

Old 12-06-2007
Level III Supporter
Zack some people just don't understand that those straps are not ment for vehicle recovery they are ment for towing a vehicle on flat ground.

Also a 30,000 lb strap is more then enough for our truck. You want the strap to be able to stretch.
good to know on my strap...

also GF mom bought GF dad last year one of those straps for when he gets stuck up north i made them take it back.. i wouldnt let them have it.. they still think i am insane but i would rather them be alive

Old 12-06-2007
RF Veteran
Name:  wyomingweek1084.jpg
Views: 2810
Size:  312.3 KB

anyone wanna critique?

thats how i run it when i have it on the rear hooks.. i just dont like the thought of pulling on one side of the truck.. it just bugs me

but i've yanked pretty hard on a few things with it setup like that and have yet to have a problem

Last edited by 99ranger4x4; 12-06-2007 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-06-2007
Thanks for the info added Zack.

I really think this should be a sticky. It will help alot of people out when making the decession to what strap to buy.

Old 12-06-2007

anyone wanna critique?

thats how i run it when i have it on the rear hooks.. i just dont like the thought of pulling on one side of the truck.. it just bugs me

but i've yanked pretty hard on a few things with it setup like that and have yet to have a problem
If you don't want to pull just from one side of the truck then try and find a short tree saver to use and then attach the tow strap to the tree saver. Bill (04lvII) used that method and it held up just fine last year during our snow run.

Old 12-06-2007
Level III Supporter
N/P Chad rather people be safe!!!

People Invest in a GOOD not off brand crap Shackle Receiver like so:

Name:  DSC02193.jpg
Views: 2879
Size:  79.7 KB

DO NOT ...repeat DO NOT EVER use this as a form of recovery!!!

also DO NOT remove the ball and put a clevis in the hole.. reason being:
  1. the hole is usually never the right size and there is slack in clevis pin
  2. next the pin on the clevis is not fully supported and there is to much stress on the pin..

Next if at ANY TIME you notice bending or fatigue in your clevis THROW THEM OUT... you DO NOT want them to fail on the next try and find out what happens...

i have personally thrown out 2 already because they got bent...

Last edited by Redneckstone; 12-06-2007 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-06-2007
Level III Supporter
If you don't want to pull just from one side of the truck then try and find a short tree saver to use and then attach the tow strap to the tree saver. Bill (04lvII) used that method and it held up just fine last year during our snow run.
correct it puts constant pressure on both frame rails and pulls from the center of the tree saver.. hell i made him buy that haha.. grant had one also when we where at the dunes

Old 12-06-2007
Level III Supporter
Matt not trying to call you out but how good is the weld penetration on those D-rings, thats my only worry...

Old 12-06-2007
Originally Posted by Redneckstone
Matt not trying to call you out but how good is the weld penetration on those D-rings, thats my only worry...

edit: never mind he changed the picture.

Old 12-06-2007
RF Veteran
u used what method, the one i have or using a tree saver off the truck?

i need to get a tree saver, luckily i haven't had to winch from any trees yet

Old 12-06-2007
Level III Supporter
u used what method, the one i have or using a tree saver off the truck?

i need to get a tree saver, luckily i haven't had to winch from any trees yet
attach tree saver to front hooks.. now loop the strap around the tree saver by attaching it threw the hole on the loop like you have in that front picture.. then attach to recovery vehicle

also for winching.. attach treesaver to front hooks. then lock winch cable to tree saver.. at which point you use your WINCH SAVER and place it and throw a towel over the connection also...

Old 12-06-2007
You take a short tree saver ( 2 to 3 feet long)and hook one end to a tow hook then slide the tow strap trough the tree saver then hook the other end of the tree svaer to the other tow hook.

edit Zack you type faster then me.

Old 12-06-2007
Level III Supporter
sorry

added more on attaching to vehicle up there Chad for hitches^^

Quick Reply: Tow straps (Please read)