Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

ford edge lift questions(NOOB questions)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ford edge lift questions(NOOB questions)

i did some searching before posting. Well i dont know anything about rangers.Im personally a yota fan. but anyways. My buddy has an 03 edge that has a 3" lift spindle and the tbars cranked about an inch. Well he wants to add about 2-3 more inches to the truck. I was searching around really didnt find much other then the tbar keys and the camburg 5.5 kit. Reading on here about people saying the keys are a waste. I know i can crank his tbars about an inch or so more but dont want his truck to ride like ***. what other options are there, really not tring to spend a lot of money on this and tring to stay away from body lifts. as for this back he as about a 2" block back there. i told him to get an add-a-leaf or a shackle. Reading on hear that the chevy shackles fit and will lift the truck some. Last question is shocks the front shocks from what i hear are blown. I told him to upgrade to bilstein 5100's since he does mild offroading. i found a tread on here that gave bilstein 5100 part numbers but there were 2 sets of numbers i was wondering if someone could verify numbers. I wish i could find the thread but i went back looking an couldnt find it. PLEASE people no flaming for my noob questions. Just tring to help a friend out since hes does not know anything about trucks.

Old 06-06-2008
RF Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
AAL and shackle for the rear. For the front you don't have many choices, please don't do keys there just bad news all around. Why against the body lift?

Old 06-06-2008
i have heard horror stories about them. like ripping through the cab, breaking mounts, and i have buddies that have then and offroad with them they regret doing it.

Old 06-06-2008
RF Veteran
Theres a ton of guys on this site that run them with no problems. If your looking at a cheap build a BL is the best way to go for cheap lift.

Old 06-06-2008
Originally Posted by 04blackedge
please don't do keys there just bad news all around
My question is why are they such bad news? they break or something? what makes them different from stock?

Old 06-06-2008
RF Veteran
It causes the ball joints, control arms, etc to wear out super fast cause of the reindexing of the suspension. You can do a search theres a couple threads about guys that ran them and regretted it.

Old 06-06-2008
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say do it right. Save up for a decent suspension lift. You get what you pay for, buy cheap stuff like torsion keys and youll end up paying more down the road to fix your truck

Old 06-06-2008
everyone is talking about how it puts stress on the upper balljoint, If im thinking correctly that with the lift spindle in there its actually taking stress off the ball joint, because all a lift spindle is just the top section of the spindle is just a couple of inchs taller. so it should be putting more stress on the lower and less on the upper? so tbar key would apply more stress to upper that the spindle took off. putting it at or little higher then what stock suspension would do. If you break a ball joint from to much lift by putting stress on it thats some ***** ****. On my tacoma my old suspension setup was about 4.5" of lift which max everyone recommended was 3". I beat the **** out of it in the desert. yes im sure the upper balljoint ****ing hated me and the coilovers. thats why the coilovers blew out. but what can i say we all learn from mistakes and now i have LT on my tacoma

Does anyone have a picture of the stock suspension with a tire off? Kinda got an idea that comes from a 5lug tacoma. not sure if your balljoints press in or bolt on. if they bolt on then you may be able to do a ball joint flip.

Old 06-06-2008
RF Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The torsion keys put the lower in a bigger bind......the keys basically over crank your bars, but joints in a bind, thus making them wear out considerably faster.

Upper Joints are non-replaceable.....a new arm is needed. The upper joints are built into the arm.....non-replaceable. Moog upper arms are the only ones I know of that have replaceable joints.

Lower Joints are replaceable. Press fit.

Minus that front CV shaft.....this pic is JUST like a 2wd edge.(moog upper and lowers in pic)
Name:  P5050118.jpg
Views: 3794
Size:  77.1 KB

U asked for this(don't think it shows much)(pic ripped from Alon's 2wd EDGE)
Name:  mini-DSC05694.jpg
Views: 3642
Size:  41.8 KB

Last edited by Fx4wannabe01; 06-06-2008 at 02:50 AM.
Old 06-06-2008
i am pretty sure the lift spindle is the same height as the stock spindle, just the position of the actual spindle (what the caliper slides onto) is located lower on the spindle body giving the lift.

Old 06-06-2008
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01

U asked for this(don't think it shows much)(pic ripped from Alon's 2wd EDGE)
cool thanks for the pictures ya what i was thinking will not work. Well looks to me that ill have to talk to my buddy and see. i dont like bodylifts at all but that looks to be our options anyone know of a good bodylift?

Old 06-06-2008
performance accessories body lift. go to modbargains.com

Last edited by 99MazdaB4000; 06-06-2008 at 09:04 AM. Reason: forgot a word :)
Old 06-06-2008
Originally Posted by 99MazdaB4000
performance accessories body lift. go to modbargains.com
cool i guess were going to do body lift. whats the average time for someone ot do the body lift? i have to get it done in 1 day do you think its possible, im pretty machanicly inclined

Old 06-06-2008
RF Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RangerJustin
i am pretty sure the lift spindle is the same height as the stock spindle, just the position of the actual spindle (what the caliper slides onto) is located lower on the spindle body giving the lift.
Your right the part that the rotor and everything slides onto is just dropped down lower on the spindle.