Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Tranny problem!!! 2/3 slip... Shift kit installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008
Level I Supporter
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Icon4 Tranny problem!!! 2/3 slip... Shift kit installation

I need some feedback on this asap if possible! I just took my truck into the tranny shop and the tranny guy called me up just now and said he just got the pan off and has some issues before he installs it. I have about 92k miles on my truck and he said there's slippage in 2/3 and delayed reverse. He said if he installs the shift kit it will be a amplified as far as my 2/3 slip bump/thunk and will cause the tranny to fail in the near future. He's suggesting to me that I hold onto the shift kit and get it installed with a tranny overhaul...

What do you guys suggest? Should I just say f-it and get it installed and see what happens? Or should I hold onto it and get my tranny overhauled first? He says it's $2500 to rebuild my tranny...

Any feedback will be appreciated as I told him I would call him back and let him know how to proceed.

NicksterSVT? 04edge? Griggs? Bob? Zach? Anybody?

Old 07-15-2008
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you got/can easaly get 2500$ id just wait and put it in with a rebuild, that way youll "know" it will work.

Old 07-15-2008
yea man i'd hold off and get the tranny overhauled and have the shift kit installed then...

Old 07-15-2008
Level I Supporter
Hmm should I just drive it until it blows or have him overhaul it now?
What would you guys do?

Old 07-15-2008
Id suggest a whole new truck. Chuntie. Buts thats just me idk. good luck w ur tranny problem LOL LOL

Old 07-15-2008
Level I Supporter
Originally Posted by Mar_Yo450
Id suggest a whole new truck. Chuntie. Buts thats just me idk. good luck w ur tranny problem LOL LOL
Good luck with English, you must be another one of those drop outs trying to be an e-thug.

Old 07-15-2008
Level I Supporter
Anybody else have any input before I call my tranny guy back?

Old 07-15-2008
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sad news there, Rob.. $2500 is a mighty chunk to put into a tranny.. I just don't think the ranger is enough to sink that money into. Heck, where I get my tranny work done.. you pull it out, bring it in.. and 200 bucks later its cleaned out, rebuilt without going into the fine-tuning hole crap.. reseal it, and you go and pick it up.... i -think- you may have better luck just trying to find a less-abused one in a yard somewhere perhaps. Its pretty easy to find transmissions at those places

Old 07-15-2008
Originally Posted by Prerunner-Ranger
Hmm should I just drive it until it blows or have him overhaul it now?
What would you guys do?
Well...LOL, if you can afford it, id have some fun with your "broken" tranny. And then when its insides look like shrapneil (sp?) id rebuild it with the kit, or just buy a whole new tranny and have the kit installed.

Old 07-15-2008
Graduate this spring chuntie but yea ima drop out anyways worry bout that tranny

Old 07-15-2008
Level I Supporter
Originally Posted by dragon_wolf
Well...LOL, if you can afford it, id have some fun with your "broken" tranny. And then when its insides look like shrapneil (sp?) id rebuild it with the kit, or just buy a whole new tranny and have the kit installed.
eeeeek. I owe 9k on my truck still so I gotta keep it running, it's my DD.

Gah, this is gonna hurt the bank account... real bad...

Old 07-15-2008
Level I Supporter
Graduate this spring chuntie but yea ima drop out anyways worry bout that tranny
I'm sure you are as your grammar and punctuation clearly state the obvious.
Now GTFO my thread.

Old 07-15-2008
did u feel any of this going on when u had the truck? i think some one is tryin to screw some one outta money

Old 07-15-2008
Level I Supporter
Originally Posted by red_fx2
did u feel any of this going on when u had the truck? i think some one is tryin to screw some one outta money
Unfortunately, yes I did. That's one of the reason I took it in because of the slippage. I've been meaning to get this kit installed for awhile but I think I waited too long.

Old 07-15-2008
I'm sure you are as your grammar and punctuation clearly state the obvious.
Now GTFO my thread.
"Grammar and puctuation" *** lol i abbreviate everything cause im use to textin.. W ur wack @ss

Old 07-15-2008
RF Veteran
I would hold on to the shift kit and run it til the wheels fall off!!! Cause like Mike said I think you could find one at a junkyard for much less. Or just find a cheaper transmission place.

Old 07-15-2008
i would take your tranny to a differnt shop for a better opinion and hopefully a better price because i got my tranny rebuilt on my truck not to long ago they pulled the tranny and rebuilt it only cost me 1350$

Old 07-15-2008
RF Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I paid 2200 for mine...but i got all upgraded internals...nothing too special though.

I would go get a new transmission ASAP. You can get them on eBay for 800 or so. You don't want your DD to throw the transmission while on your way to work/school. If your really saavy, I would do a manual swap so you never have that problem again :)

Old 07-15-2008
wow eithe ri got a killer deal or yall are gettin ripped on tranny rebuilds... ima buy a manual one and get a shift kit and get the best internals i can get for it.. so i never have this issue..

Old 07-15-2008
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats why I love manuals... switch out a slave every other now and then, and eventually toss in a new master.. saves on those automatic's :-)

Old 07-15-2008
Level I Supporter
"Grammar and puctuation" *** lol i abbreviate everything cause im use to textin.. W ur wack @ss
I rest my case.

Old 07-15-2008
RF Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yessik you probably are getting a good deal. I was going to get mine for 1800 or 2200 w/ upgrades...so I figure...400 more for upgraded stuff can't hurt :)

Old 07-15-2008
Level I Supporter
Alright guys so I made my decision. I called this guy back and he said most tranny shops that do things cheaper don't complete the full job. Like electrical for example, most people will swap out the tranny but use all the old electrical etc. Which makes sense in the business world, business is business and everyones trying to hustle.

Anyways, for $2500 he will overhaul my whole tranny/replace with new one, install my shift kit, and put in 4.0 internals instead of the crappy 3.0's.

For now I'm just gonna have him do a complete flush, put the pan back on and I'll drive that sucker until it explodes. Then have it towed right over to get the job done... it will give me some time to save some money and get the most mileage out of my tranny.

Thanks for all your input guys, R-F rocks!

Old 07-15-2008
Level I Supporter
Originally Posted by WowMike2001
Thats why I love manuals... switch out a slave every other now and then, and eventually toss in a new master.. saves on those automatic's :-)
My first pick was a manual but couldn't afford it at the time

Old 07-15-2008
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alright guys so I made my decision. I called this guy back and he said most tranny shops that do things cheaper don't complete the full job. Like electrical for example, most people will swap out the tranny but use all the old electrical etc. Which makes sense in the business world, business is business and everyones trying to hustle.

Anyways, for $2500 he will overhaul my whole tranny/replace with new one, install my shift kit, and put in 4.0 internals instead of the crappy 3.0's.

For now I'm just gonna have him do a complete flush, put the pan back on and I'll drive that sucker until it explodes. Then have it towed right over to get the job done... it will give me some time to save some money and get the most mileage out of my tranny.

Thanks for all your input guys, R-F rocks!
Thats what I would do you could get a another year out of it or it could blow up tomorrow, its just the risk you take driving any vehicle.

Quick Reply: Tranny problem!!! 2/3 slip... Shift kit installation