4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

More MAF problems.

Old 10-24-2008
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More MAF problems.

Well if anyone hasn't read my thread yet about installing a K&N FIPK here's a synopsis of it.

I installed FIPK, engine sputtered alot and kept stalling, took it to mechanics, and he said my MAF needed cleaned.

Anyway, now to my current situation. He cleaned the MAF sensor for me, and that still didn't help my truck from idling rough. He ordered a new MAF sensor and that brought up the same code, and my truck still idled rough then stalled.

He pulled the MAF sensor out, and my truck ran perfectly. So my question is, are there any problems with just pulling my MAF out? Or does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong here because I don't, he doesn't and he even called two other people that are also mechanics to try and figure out what's going on and they can't figure it out either.

EDIT: It's a 04, 4.0 SOHC. I forgot to put that in.

Last edited by Diltzy; 10-24-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-24-2008
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the same kit. Mine ran fine.. but I did notice the MAF plastic block didn't seat properly on the tube. Holding up a flashlight showed that it had a air leak! I fined it down smooth and then used some silicon to seal it.

The other thought that comes to me is the wires and connector. Are the wires by chance tight when it's mounted in the tube?

You might want to clean them and put a little dilectric grease on the wires before snapping them together.

Rich

Old 10-24-2008
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
I have the same kit. Mine ran fine.. but I did notice the MAF plastic block didn't seat properly on the tube. Holding up a flashlight showed that it had a air leak! I fined it down smooth and then used some silicon to seal it.

The other thought that comes to me is the wires and connector. Are the wires by chance tight when it's mounted in the tube?

You might want to clean them and put a little dilectric grease on the wires before snapping them together.

Rich
That does get me thinking, when I stalled in in. One of the screws was not flush with the seal like the other one was. Could this very well be the problem?

Old 10-24-2008
After I "fixed" mine.. it ran the same.

Are they by chance installing it backwards? I think on the K&N you could do that. (wires should be closest to the air filter)

Rich

Old 10-24-2008
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
After I "fixed" mine.. it ran the same.

Are they by chance installing it backwards? I think on the K&N you could do that. (wires should be closest to the air filter)

Rich
It's definitely not installed backwards.

I'm waiting for him to get home, and then I'm running the stock intake down to him and put that back on. I've read about some people needing a "cold air tune". I have no idea what that would need, so if putting the stock intake back on fixes my problem then I'm just going to return my intake to A&A.

Old 10-24-2008
Level I Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Diltzy
It's definitely not installed backwards.

I'm waiting for him to get home, and then I'm running the stock intake down to him and put that back on. I've read about some people needing a "cold air tune". I have no idea what that would need, so if putting the stock intake back on fixes my problem then I'm just going to return my intake to A&A.
That's a smart thing to do!!!!

Old 10-24-2008
I've tuned my own ranger and I've only seen that at high rpms it's a little leaner. But not dangerously lean.

Sounds to me like about the only thing it could be is the wires/connector between the MAF sensor and wiring harness. Clean them and put some dilectric grease on both then retry.

Rich

Old 10-24-2008
So, we put the stock intake back on, and sure enough, Cletus is running like a champ.

Old 10-24-2008
So.. the valve cover vacuum hose was properly connected?

I mean... unless you had the wrong K&N part number the only two things it could be are the electrical connections/wires or the vacuum hose.

Rich

Old 10-24-2008
RF Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, we put the stock intake back on, and sure enough, Cletus is running like a champ.
Cletus. LOL

Do as Rich said and try and fix the MAF mount. Or give K&N a call.

Old 10-24-2008
Originally Posted by fddriver02
Cletus. LOL
Come on, don't tell me you don't name your vehicles?

Anyway, yes, everything was connected properly. I did some searching, and I found other threads, not just on here that something like this has happened before, it's just very very rare. I found 3 other threads on here, and on TRS where it sounds like the same problem I had.

Old 10-24-2008
RF Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Come on, don't tell me you don't name your vehicles
I cal my truck a POS all the time. I don't consider it a name though. LOL

Old 11-08-2008
Did the mechanics check your IAC valve? My truck idled real horribly and come to find out my IAC valve was worn out. It idled rough for a while, then stopped doing it for a long time and it came back. It was a lot worse to the point of cutting out and my mechanic said it was a bad IAC valve.

This may have nothing to do with it, but it's worth checking.