Originally Posted by zabeard
i wouldnt do it if it was me. this is what makes no sense from your thread...
1. new ranger with 5400 (not even broke in)
2. dont drive if for gas reasons
3. tacoma will smoke your ranger (yet worried about gas prices)
4. you want a 2.3l but dont like the fact that a toy beat you
5. i would imagine you owe more than you will get out of your ranger but i could be wrong.
so wth that stated id keep the 4.0 it will break in more and you should see 17-18mpg as a normal driver
With the cost of gas I personally don't give a hoot if grandma Moses passes me. That is why I pull 24+mpg out of my 4.0 w/182.xxxmi on it.
When I need the power I have plenty and sometimes use it. My truck can and has pulled it's own weight and more. If my truck was just used around town I would want the 2.3L but mine is used in all kind of conditions. My X-cab and 4x4 are a nice thing to have in the winter conditions I have to deal with.
BTW, the 24mpg is not a typo, I'm a hypermiler.