I finally solved my bed rust issue!! My old bed liner was an under rail Protecta style liner and it trapped salt, dirt, air, bugs, and leaves all down under it. Over the past 10 years it has put a decent size hole in my bed. I need to patch the hole still but I solved the problem of it happening again to day at Pull-A-Part!!
It's a Allstar over rail bed liner out of a 93-94. It is SPOTLESS. Look fairly new actually. I spotted it on my way out of a fruitless attempt to grab some leaf springs from an Explorer.
It defiantly made my unsuccessful venture a little better. Especially for $25!! It is like a $150 liner new!
Here is my old liner. UNDER THE RAILS SUCK!!!.
The only I'm not sure about it is I still want to get Edge style bed rails and I don't think they will fit my new liner which has built in bed rails.
Oh well, for the moment, it is a big improvement.
I also spray painted some black primer on the spots where my old liner had worn down the paint.
And, of course, on the way to the JY I got a CEL. My first. Ever.
P0455. EVAP Emissions vacuum leak. Of course. No a major problem but I won't be able to pass echeck next year if I put it off. And no, it's not the gas cap. Probably the filler neck or the charcoal canister, maybe a sensor.