Originally Posted by stbpt43
I bought my first Ranger yesterday (finally!), and would love to learn more about it. I figured I'd list what it is and what it's got, and you all could give me some advice about what I should keep an eye on, what I should look for, what I should expect to have trouble with, etc. Any info and thoughts you could give are highly appreciated in advance. Thanks!
2002 Ranger XLT
4x4 w/ Off Road Package
Toreador Red Metallic ext.
grey cloth interior
4spd auto + OD
My questions for you:
- What's included in the '02 XLT package?
- What's included in the '02 Off-Road package?
- The tires will have to go soon - I've heard fantastic things about the Uniroyal Liberator A/Ts, but are there any fairly inexpensive but good highway tires that can handle themselves off-road if need be?
- I really wanted a 5spd. I test-drove a '99 5spd and it was so much fun, but was generally a piece of crap. I've had this feeling that an auto 4x4 wouldn't handle itself off-road as well as the 5spd; is this true? I feel like having the 4.0 instead of the 3.0 will make some difference, but what are your thoughts on this?
- I bought it for $5400 with 158k miles, which I was a little apprehensive to do, but it drove flawlessly. As an '02 with those miles and the 4.0, is there any way of estimating how long it'll last? Did I screw myself, or get a good deal?
- Are there any other general things I ought to know?
1. should have leather steering wheel, cruise and carpet
2. skidplates mainly
3. the tires will get you around, but dont expect to do much off a dirt road.
4. auto when wheeling is best. ill get hate for this one, but it does the slipping for you, just give it time to shift between gears. you'll toast a clutch wheeling.
5. you should get 250 out of it, just be sure to listen for a rattle. the timing chains go on the SOHC and will chew the motor if not caught right away. as for the price, thats a little high. i bought my 2006 4.0 auto with 23,000 miles on it for 12,900. so for the mileage and year id expect the truck to be around 4,000. unless your talking taxes in, then its a nice deal.
6. service all the fluids. diffs especially. check all seals, replace anything worn, and if you have questions just ask!