Name that noise?
Hey everyone, I noticed today that my truck is making a metallic clinking/rattling sound when I'm driving, and I'd like some help figuring out what the problem is!
I'm guessing it started today, but I can only hear it with the window down so it's possible it's been doing it for a while and I just never noticed. Anyway, here is what I know!
- Metal on metal sound. Not rubbing or grinding, but more of a clank or rattle.
- Only makes noise when the truck is moving.
- Usually starts around 20-25 MPH. Wind/road noise does or would drown it out at higher speeds, so I don't know if or when it stops. I tried reverse and didn't hear it, but I was also going at a slower speed.
- Doesn't change any with engine speed (revving while stopped doesn't make the noise).
- Doesn't seem to change much with vehicle speed, but the sound isn't rhythmic or constant, so it's hard to tell for sure.
- Can't hear it unless the window is down (either side, but driver side (naturally) seems louder).
- Can't feel it, no shake or stutter or anything - if the windows weren't down, I'd be completely unaware of it.
I did take the truck out in the dirt for the first time since I bought it - nothing impressive, but 4 and 4-low got a little bit of use for the first time. They've been engaged before of course, but more just to make sure they worked - didn't have any real throttle going to them until today. Maybe something got bumped loose somewhere along the way.
I also replaced the spark plugs and wires, but I don't think the problem is related.
Ideas? Things that are easy to check/confirm or cheap/easy to fix? :)
It's an '04 FX4 L2 with 145,000 miles on it - so when I say it was the first time in the dirt, I mean it was the first time since I bought it about a month ago. But I'm fairly certain it didn't make this sound until very recently.