A STEP-BY-STEP WAY TO DO THIS:
If you don't like the look of the taillights in the 1993 to 1999 Rangers, the ones with the seperate turn signal bulb, then I have the solution. This will convert your taillights to 2000 or newer taillights, the ones with the turn signal integrated into the taillight/brake bulb. This takes care of 2 things if you don't have a trailer plug. TO INSURE PROPER FUNCTION, FOLLOW EVERY STEP!!
1. First thing you need to do is to go get yourself a trailer wiring harness kit (the kit with the "T" connector that converts the 5 wire setup to a 4 wire for the trailer lights). I got a Hoppy brand from AutoZone for $30.00. I am sure that you could get them off eBay for cheaper. *IF YOU ALREADY HAVE ONE SKIP THIS STEP!!! YOU ALREADY HAVE WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS STEP!!!*
2. Acquire 2000 or newer set of taillights for your truck.
3. Remove the taillights from your truck. Make sure that the light sockets plug into the new taillights.
4. *I believe that the 2000 to 2004 taillights have the same back basket as the 1993 to 1999 taillights IF SO SKIP THIS STEP AND CONTINUE TO STEP 5* The only light socket that you MIGHT have a problem fitting correctly is the reverse light socket. If so, cut the wires to it and the turn signal socket and switch them. Put the turn signal socket on the reverse wires and the reverse socket on the turn signal wires. DO THIS FOR BOTH SIDES!! MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD CONNECTIONS AND TAPE THE CONNECTIONS TO PREVENT WATER SHORTING OUT YOUR ELECTRICAL SYSTEM!!
5. Tape over the turn signal bulb (WHICH SHOULD STILL BE IN THE LIGHT SOCKET!!) so it cannot be seen blinking. Wire tie it in the bed side so it will not fall out while driving. YOU HAVE TO LEAVE THE OLD TURN SIGNAL SOCKET AND BULB INSTALLED, IF NOT THE TURN SIGNALS WILL FAST BLINK!!
6. Cut the GREEN wire, far enough behind the bulb socket so you can attach it to another wire, hooked to the tail/brake light bulb socket. Tape the end up that goes into the wiring harness because you wont need it anymore. DO THIS FOR BOTH SIDES!!!
7. Unplug the wire connector behind the rear bumper that goes to the taillights and install the "T" trailer harness. After the "T" connector there is 5 wires going to another little black box. That box converts the system to a 4 wire system for the trailer lights. LEAVE IT ATTACHED!!
8. Tap into a turn signal wire, LEFT or RIGHT, in the trailer plug (AFTER THE LITTLE BLACK BOX THAT CONVERTS IT TO A 4 WIRE SYSTEM!!!) wires and run it to the respective taillight (LEFT TURN SIGNAL WIRE TO THE LEFT TAILLIGHT). Hook this wire into the green wire that comes out of the tail/brake light socket.
9. REPEAT THE LAST STEP FOR THE OTHER LIGHT THAT YOU HAVEN'T DONE!!
10. WIRE TIE ALL LOSE WIRES UP AND OUT OF THE WAY AS YOU ARE DONE WITH THE WIRES!! PUT THE TRAILER PLUG WERE YOU WOULD LIKE IT TO BE FOR EASY ACCESS WHEN YOU DECIDE TO HAUL A TRAILER!!
11. Install the bulb sockets into there correct spot in the new taillights.
12. Install the new taillights.
13. Check all connections and make sure they are connected properly.
14. Test to make sure they work properly.
2001 XLT 4x4 3.0 Fleetside Conversion
AC Mod, Turn Signal Mod, 265/70/16 AT2s on Chrome AR Chambers, SS Headlight & Fogs, 06 Corners, 06 Tails, Mustang Dome Light, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Lighted Dual Visors, OHC