I am one who is trying this HHO system.
There are some rules to it.
1. it is dangerous if you don't follow all the safety rules and necessary equipment. This is NOT a set and forget system, you need to watch it closely, until you get it tuned. Then you have to watch water levelin cell, amp draw, etc.
2. There are 3 components to the system to be safe.
1. hydrogen cell (Im am running a Smack's Booster)
2. Cell safety circuit (electrical) including Oil pressure switch (no pressure...no HHO production)
3. O2 sensor circuit board. This board tricks your O2 sensor to think you are not running lean and dumping more gas to the injectors. I am building mine now. Or you can buy ready made boards (called EFIE boards).
I currently have the booster mounted in the truck. It produces about 1.2 l/min of HHO gas.
This is enough that my O2 sensors think the engine is REAL lean and it is putting more gas through the injectors. Right now I am getting about a 5% increase in gas mileage. When I get the EFIE boards built and installed, I expect to get about a 20-30% increase in gas MPG.
I have a 05 Edge 3.0, auto, 4.10's, 235/70/15 tires. Without the booster I get 19.6 MPG.
With the booster only I get 21 MPG. not much, but as I said the O2 sensors are dumping more fuel due to seeing a REAL lean condition.
Go to this site and learn more, Read the File section on building a smack's booster and one on building an O2 sensor and the safety stuff for newbies. I believe it is possible to get 20-30% increase in mileage.
There is a guy on this board who is working on a 2.3 L ranger also...
Here's the link:
DO your HOMEWORK and you can see some interesting MPG gains. i don't believe the hype of 50-100% gains
, but 20-30 are acheivable.
here is a link to youtube and Smack himself (charater haha) talking about the booster Watch all parts of video.
MaxB (going blind soldering boards with these old eyes)