Think I got it working.
First, I tried doing the 30Kohm thing. Took two 14.7K's in series (measured 29.8K with my multimeter), and put them directly at the wiring harness, read 38F. Not quite 70 degrees. Figured the OHC was screwed.
Then I tried using the sensor from rockauto... found that the connector was the correct gender, but it didn't fit... there's a squarish corner to the connector that did not line up with the socket I was using. Cut off the corner, sanded it down and "made it fit"... I'm now reading 54F and weather.com says it's 52F in my general area. 2 degrees of flux is acceptible to me... much better then the 40-50 degrees of flux I was seeing. Thanks to all who helped me out on this. I'm gonna watch it over the next few days, but hopefully it'll stay fixed.