98~01 5.0 Explorers have PATS, 96~97 do not.
If you use the 96 or 97 engine/PCM, you've eliminated PATS. There might be some repinning involved but nothing major.
For a 98~01 5.0 into a 99/2000 Ranger, you have 3 choices:
- Swap in the Ex PCM/PATS Module/keys and lock cylinder, all from the same donor vehicle.
- Swap in the EX PCM and reuse the Ranger's module, lock and keys (requires dealer assistance to make everything talk together happily)
- Swap in the Ex PCM with an aftermarket tune that eliminates PATS
Here's how I would remove the module itself. Proceed at you own risk.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable
- Drop down and/or remove the glovebox.
- Remove the PS airbag by removing the two bolts from the bottom and unplugging the electrical connector.
- Unbolt the PATS Module and bracket.