I am: Bob .
Join Date: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger
Drive Type: 4x4
Total Props: 19
I would troubleshoot in this order:
- Key on: check for hot in and out of Fuse 2, dash box.
- Ground is OK assuming that other taillight functions work.
- Inspect the harness for damage from the tails forward along the driver side frame rail. The reverse hot is black/pink.
- Disconnect and isolate battery negative cable
- Locate the large 40-pin connector under the truck directly below the driver seat. Open it by unscrewing the center bolt. It may have water/salt/corrosion inside - fairly common problem for 2000~2003.
- Locate the Transmission Range Sensor on the left side of trans case and remove its connector. Test for for continuity between the pins that serve the violet/orange and black/pink wires. Should have continuity in reverse.
- Reconnect battery negative cable
- The violet/orange at the TRS should be hot whenever the key is in the on position. If it isn't and the first step was OK, then there is an open between the fuse and the TRS.
2003 FX4 Level II, Supercharged 5.0L V8, Headers,Duals 4R70W auto, BW4406 manual T/C
Aussie Locker, Torsen L/S, 4.10's, Bilstein 7100 rezzies, Cadillac/Mustang rear discs, Duff traction bars
Keypad Entry, Lock LEDs, ABS switch, sway bar discos, Heated seats, Explorer EATC, Trip Computer and consoles
5.0L V8 swap: Click
2003 XLT 2.3L M5OD-R1 reg cab beater, 2011 Taurus SEL, 2016 C-MAX Energi Plug-in Hybrid