Winches.... line locks
I finally put my winch rope back on the Milemarker today and instead of using the metal lug again, I cut off the lug and made my own line lock. What I did was use a rubber vacuum belt and threaded 10' of line thru it. Then, I reverse wrapped it (from the 10' mark back to the end) over the vacuum belt and threaded the end into the loop left at the end of the vacuum belt. I ended up with 10 wraps that are locked to the drum and since the belt is rubber, it has some traction on the drum.
Another thing I did today was mount a switch in the cab so that I can operate the winch from behind the wheel. Last time I was stuck, I was winching from the cab with the remote and ended up with the cable getting caught by the tire which wasn't a good thing at all. This switch should resolve that problem.
Last thing I did today was simplyto build a new bumper / winch mount. Actually, at this point it's just a winch mount because I haven't made the parts that protect the headlights but I've got the winch and all 4 Hellas mounted and ready to go. I took pics, but I haven't uploaded them yet.
2004 Dodge RAM 1500 QC 4x4
1988 Jeep YJ
Custom front and rear 4-link, TBar Fab bumpers, tire carrier and rock sliders, Warn 9.5ti with 125' of 5/16" Amsteel Blue, TJ coil springs, 35" Goodyear MT/Rs on RockCrawler wheels, ProComp swaybar disconnects, Uniden PC78 Elite CB, 7" fender flares