Here we go.
* I am doing this because I found a couple other threads on this across the web but couldn't find a definitive one for my truck. I’m just trying to help others out. *
First off, this mod is for making the fog lights come on with the key in the run position (ignition switched on). This turned out to be the easiest way to make the fog lights turn on when I want them to. I just wanted the fog lights to be able to be on with my high beams to give me the most amount of light in front of me with stock lights.
This may be illegal where you live, but if you do like you should and keep your brights off when you're around people you won't get in trouble anyhow.
So let’s get to it.
1995 Ford Ranger Fog Light Mod
This mod makes you able to turn your fog lights on and off with the fog light button whenever the key is in the ignition as well as in the “run” position.
There is a way to do it so that they can be controlled whenever the parking lights are on but I found this to be much easier and quicker as well as giving the driver more control.
- Get into your Power Distribution Box located on the driver’s side against the firewall.
- Remove the Power Distribution Box from the mounts and pop off the bottom cover of the box to expose all the wires.
- Find the Dark Blue wire with a Light Green stripe and cut it in half. This is the wire that controls the fog lights.
- Now find the Red wire with a Light Green stripe. This wire becomes hot after the ignition turns on. Strip about half an inch to an inch of this wire in the middle.
- Strip the end of the blue / light green wire that goes into the Power Distribution Box and tape off the side that goes back into the bundle of wires.
- Wrap the stripped end of the blue / light green wire around the stripped section of the red / light green wire.
- You can solder it or do whatever you feel you need to do to make it stay. I used liquid tape and wrapped it in electrical tape.
- Put everything back together and you’re done.
- Enjoy all your light!
Here are some pics if you get lost