I believe you broke the "mounting ears" on the cruise control pod. to replace the pod, you need to remove the air bag.
1. disconnect negative and positive terminals on battery. I like to pull the battery out and have it sitting next to the truck.
2. On the sides of the steering wheel, there's two plastic covers(one on each side) that cover the air bag mounting bolts. You need to remove those covers. I used a box cutter to pry them loose. Small flathead screwdriver will work as well.
3. Unscrew the air bag mounting bolts using 8mm socket.
4. Carefully pull up on the air bag, and disconnect the wiring on the back side. I like to do this with my body outside the vehicle, reaching in doing the work.
5. Set air bag in safe place where it can't be disturbed.
6. Unscrew 2 phillips head screws on the pod.
7. Pull the wiring off the pod. Can sometimes be a pain.
8. Install is reverse of disassembly.
John Grigg's aka N3ELZ has a GREAT cardomain.....complete with cruise control pod LED mod...and cruise pod removal....