Okay, so first and foremost, i'd like to give a big shoutout to Dewey for doing the majority of the work. I mostly just stood around, vacuumed the interior after we stripped the it, and stole his powerade. Thanks again, Jacob. This is my first thread, so let me know if i miss anything & feel free to ask any questions you have.
This is my swampcat.
I didn't remember to take any pictures of the interior before we stripped it, but I can tell you that it was the definition of disgusting. The carpet is newer, and pretty much stain-less. The seats, however, were a different story. They were 16 years old, and showed every bit. Ripped, stained, and they smelled disgusting. I was so thankful to get my new seats.
We'll start with the center console. Like I said, it came from a 1996 Ford Explorer. Dewey had painted it, and it looked great. Almost brand new.
We initially thought that just removing the rear air ducts from the back of the console would be enough to clear my speakers in the back, but through a few test fits, we quickly realized that it would not. So, with the power of a little bit of overkill (a big, electric grinder) we cut about 2-3 inches off the back of the console. Being a single cab, no one will ever see the back, so we didn't pay much attention to it.
After that, the console fit in pretty much flawlessly. My subs don't hit the console even at full volume, and you can't tell it's cut unless you physically move the seats to look.
There are 2 prongs that line up with 2 holes that go where my airbag switch and the little pocket went, that I again forgot to take a picture of. Beside those holes, are 2 holes for screws that hold the front of the console to the dash. There are 2 mounting holes in the middle of the console, halfway between the front & the console itself, This is where you'll have to drill. We drilled 2 holes all the way through the cab to the outside. We then used 2 bolts, put them through, and Dewey put the nut on the other side, and we tightened them down. That's it for securing it, it was pretty sturdy after that.
The shifter only bumps the the console when in reverse. Since I didn't mention this earlier, you just have to slide the console over the shifter. It's easiest to do this with it in reverse.
ONTO THE SEATS
Again, these seats were in perfect condition, One minor rip in the back, but, single cab. No one will see it. Not worn, not torn, mint seats. I also want to make a note that if you have an extended cab, this is a direct swap for you guys. No modification required. If you're a single cab like myself, the front mounts will fit over the existing holes with no problem. However, the back mounts will need to be brought inward, or you can make a bracket like we did. It's pretty much straight forward. I didn't take pictures of the brackets we made, but we cut the back feet off my original seat brackets and welded them onto a piece of metal about 6 inches long and 3 inches wide, and welded that to the seat bracket on the back of the mountaineer seats. It took a little adjustment, and a few tack welds to get everything right. It was actually pretty straight forward.
Here's the finished product.
Like I said, this is my first thread so let me know what I missed, or if you need better explanation on something. Another big thanks to Dewey, go check out his build thread on here. Thanks for reading.