Hello all. I'm mysteed and this will be my first Ranger to tinker with and thus far I must say that your forums have been helpful in my rebuild of this truck. Before I get too far in my background, allow me to introduce the truck.
My shop manager bought the truck a year and a half ago from a customer who originally wanted to send it to the scrap yard (it had zero compression on the #1 cylinder). Up till about a month ago it just sat outside the shop waiting to be fixed and then my manager sold the truck to my dad and I as he came to the conclusion that he was most likely never going to get around to fixing it.
We knew going into it that the stock 3.0L was not the idea motor for us but since my DD 98 Cobra and race cars are all torn apart right now, the idea was to tear the 3.0L apart, fix whatever we found wrong, and then toss it back together just to get it running. Well a few weekends ago we tore the motor down on the passengerside and found this:
Well now we know why it had no compression there! So we ordered a new piston, new ringset, headgasket kit, front and rear main seals, and the next weekend we put it all back together. Thus far we've been driving the truck since Monday and aside from a very little bit of detonation on the top end, the truck runs like a top. We've also already added wheels (18x9 OEM Ford Mustang Bullitt wheels) and we'll be ordering a 4/5 drop kit here in the next few weeks. Once we drive it a bit more and the winter approaches I'll be posting a thread with our planned mild 5.0L swap and a few other goodies.
Crappy Iphone pic for reference: